Best Giacosa white label evarr?

The 67 CR was pretty special.

If you are looking for a birth year Barolo, and you can find it, 1987 Monfortino is a killer wine and sleeper of the vintage. A bit exotic compared to other Monfortinos but a really stunning wine if a sound bottle. Roberto has said to me on several occasions that he really loves the 1987. Problem is there was so little made because heavy rains came in the middle of the harvest and they were unable to bring in the rest of the grapes. Smallest harvest ever.

The epic vintages of Red Label must be other-worldly if they can cause one to look down one’s nose at a monumental wine like the 1999 White Label.

Had the 99 at a private Barolo dinner last night. Wonderfully balanced wine and not near its peak.

I’ll go for the '99
Not because I’ve tasted lots of the others.
Only because I own lots of the '99
So, self interest at work here, hoping for some confirmation bias!!!

I think the 2004 Rabaja might give the 1999 Rocche a run for its money down the line.

The 1999 Rocche certainly, but the 1996 Rabaja is superb and probably worthy. I heard Giacosa decided not to red label it, because he felt that that as a first vintage, it might not be appropriate.

A quick hit, since this savvy Platts-Martin fellow and the redoubtable Golodetz are caught up in the (proper) spirit of this discourse:

I do not fart in the general direction of the 99 Le Rocche white label. Indeed, I have it in my cantina in case quantity and in magnum. This discussion is merely a question of perspective. First of all, the 99 Le Rocche is too young to have demonstrated what it may ultimately become, and while good potential is there and always to be valued, potential is not performance. First, one must consider how many red labels are lined up before it: 67/90/96/00/04/07 Asili Riserve; 61/64/90 Barbaresco Riserve; maybe the 01 Rabaja Riserva; 64/71/78/82/89/90/98 Santo Stefano Riserve; 78 Bussia di Monforte Riserva Speciale; 78/82/89 Collina Rionda Riserve; 86/89/96 Falletto Riserva; 71 Le Rocche di Castiglione Falletto Riserva Speciale; 00/01/04/07/08 (yes, 08!) Le Rocche del Falletto Riserva; 78 Villero Riserva Speciale.

Then what of the white labels that have arguably near-equal, equal or more powerful vintage and vineyard pedigrees, most all of which one might consider trading for with some of their 99 Le Rocches? 01 Asili; 96/00/04 Rabaja’; 96/01/04 Santo Stefano; 71 Collina Rionda; 78/82/96/99 (yes, 99!)/04/07 Falletto; 78/82 Le Rocche di Castiglione Falletto; 78 and maybe 89/96 Villero.

That would be 49 Giacosa wines that some of us are certain to like better than the 99 Le Rocche today. 19 of those 49 are white labels. Sure, we can all make a case for placing the 99 Le Rocche ahead of some of my white label selections above, but does anybody think that it belongs on the Riserva list? Nah. Go for the lowest-hanging fruit: ask Bill Boykin, or Carl or Henry, if any of them want to trade you their 1998 SSRs for 1999 Le Rocches 1:1. I might trade you a 99 Falletto or 96 Villero white label for a 99 Le Rocche, but that would be about it. Always good to be reminded how high the many Giacosa peaks can soar…

Great to have you posting again Bill

The 99 Falletto is certainly great, my favorite bottle among around 20 Barolos from the late 90ies tasted this winter. Fabulous balance, elegance and power.

Any thoughts on '00 falletto or santo stefano (white)? These are the only giacosa’s I own so curious how they stack up to the best. I know it’s a hot vintage.

The Santa Stefano was foreword and pleasant, but without the delineation and layering of his best wines. I know I have had the Falletto, but can’t find a note.

Bill, I love the 1999 Le Rocche, but the 01 Rabaja Riserva that I had early this year was one of the greatest wines I’ve ever had and certainly my WOTY so far. It wasn’t poured side-by-side with the '99 Le Rocche, but I still think it would have blown the Rocche away. Maybe it was just that bottle that was so magical but, still, I guess I’m objecting to your “maybe”. [wink.gif]

Slight thread drift:

I have had two or three people calling me or e mailing me in the last month asking if I was interested in selling my Giacosas, and prepared to pay significantly over market to get them. Both white and red label.

I know prices have risen significantly over the years, but it looks as if we are set for another serious price increase.