Best Merlot Vineyards

Im partial to Oak Knoll for Merlot. IMO, that is where Merlot does best in Napa. Blackbird being the notable selection, but theres quite a few other merlot vineyards on Big Ranch that nobody knows the names of that get blended away.

Paloma, Pride, Paradigm come to mind

2 Likes

Interesting question, I’d have to go with Duckhorn, Pride and Paloma

1 Like

You need to get to their “VS” or Reserve Claret to get to their best merlot.

The 3 P’s
Enjoyed the 2014 and 2017 Pride Merlots very much! I think i might have liked it better than the Cab.
Paradigm 2015 is tasting wonderful right now. I have a few bottles left luckily!

1 Like

On the pricier side, but Blankiet’s Rive Droite has been spectacular every time I have had it. One of my favorite U.S. wines.

nice!
would you recommend the 2016 Mayacamas Merlot? I’ve seen it around online for about 50$.

I did not taste 16 last year on release. But, the 14 & 15 have both been very nice.

2 Likes

Interesting topic, several years ago I asked on a forum why someone didn’t make a wine to compete with Petrus. My name for it would be Pay-Truce…

Of course Petrus is usually a blend - merlot heavy…

And I agree,I love Merlots…

I agree with the “other” John about Spring Mtn sourcing great Merlots. I enjoy Paloma’s and am saving my last Guilliam’s Merlot for a special occasion with a friend who visited the winery with us and loves it as much as I do.

I also agree with this John! We visited O’Brien in Oak Knoll in 2013 with a decent group of people. Our group’s favorite wine was their merlot-dominated blend (Romance- I know, it’s a cheesy name).

Several references so far to Paloma; has anyone tasted a recent vintage? Older ones were great, it my experience in the last 10 years has been less than stellar, possibly coinciding with the passing of the original owners (is a son now running things)? Similarly, older Beringer Bancroft merlots were terrific, but then there was a phase (after some significant replanting? I have heard) when the depth was not there. What about recently? Agree on Pride Vintage Select, and Mayacamas is very structured compared to many others. I was underwhelmed by Blankiet……and many others.

1 Like

Sharad S wrote:
nice!
would you recommend the 2016 Mayacamas Merlot? I’ve seen it around online for about 50$.

Sharad, I know this was not directed to me, but I have had the 2016 and would recommend. A very nice wine. We also bought a 2018 but have not tried it yet.

The Newton Vineyard on Spring Mountain produced some exceptional Merlot’s in the early 90’s. Structured, age-worthy wines. Another for the list of Spring Mountain Merlot’s.

Ed

Ed,
thanks, great to know about the '16 Mayacamas Merlot and Newton. I think I have been enjoying lots more of mountain merlots for that nice structure and boldness.
On the valley floor side, I forgot to mention I had a few Nickel and Nickel stuff that was pretty good. The '16 Harris vineyard and '16 Suscol Ranch. I was digging this savory fruited notes from the Suscol Ranch Nickel merlot.

Cheers!

Got it. Appreciate the recommendations. Cheers!

My dad loves Paloma and he recently purchased a bottle of the 2016. Looks like more recent vintages aren’t as glowing as previous vintages on CT.

Coincidentally, he also loves Pride for their Merlot and Cabernet Franc too.

And a Mayacamas back in the day made him fall in love with wine. Don’t know if he’s ever tried their Merlot though.

Pretty sure Petrus is 100% merlot now:

The 11.5 hectare Petrus vineyard is planted to 100% Merlot. During the 1990s and into the 2000s, about 1/2 a hectare was reserved for Cabernet Franc, making the vineyard plantings about 95% Merlot and 5% Cabernet Franc. However, the Cabernet Franc was not used in most vintages.

In fact, since, 1982, the variety has only been included every third or fourth year. Today, all the Cabernet Franc vines have been remove and replaced with Merlot.

Read more at:> Learn Everything about Petrus Pomerol, The Complete Guide

FWIW I had a 2010 Redigaffi Saturday night that was stunning

Definitely Pride for me. I’ve been buying every year except for this one as I am very low on space currently. My wife loves their merlot and it ages really nice!

Korbin Kameron’s Merlot has been consistently impressive with a brightness I’ve rarely found in California. I’d add Calluna to the list as well.

I really like Tempest from Realm. Not 100% merlot, but is dominant and much of the fruit has come from Beckstoffers vineyard in Oak Knoll. Across the street from O’Brian.