Best option for GPS use in Ireland?

Local cab from the bus depot? We used a combo of both. No driving for 12 days. Was kinda nice.

You are travelling right? You have your passport. What’s the hassle. Go in a store (probably at the airport) have them do it for you if you want. Any activation issues they will help you out. I can’t see how that’s more hassle than ordering in advance via amazon.

But whatever you prefer.

If you’re only there a few days the AT&T day pass is your best option. In my experience, only trips of a week or more may warrant other options particularly if you don’t have an unlocked backup phone. (I always keep my last phone just for this purpose).

Download the google maps data while on wifi.

My God, it isn’t as difficult as some here have suggested. If you have a Garmin, just validate ROM compatibility and then buy a ROM with Ireland maps on it. Bring it in your luggage. You’re all set.

Ireland has solid bus service, but then you’re at the whim of their schedules. Outside of downtown Dublin, driving in Ireland is pretty easy.

To avoid driving through downtown, I picked up my car after the Dublin portion of our stay. There’s an Avis on Old Kilmainham Road that’s outside of the downtown traffic snarls, and it was easy to get to the highway.

It’s not nearly as complicated as the thread here has made all of this out to be.

Jim, shouldn’t you be out selling Biz Talk or something?

Rofl!

A 4 day weekend for the AT&T data plan $40. The Ireland map $40. Hmm okay that’s a tie.

But one gets you just a map. The other gets you full access to everything you do with your phone. You can also pair your laptop with your phone and do Wine Berserkers. The other one just gets you a map.

Your choice, but Jim is smoking some serious dope.

I’d agree if Ireland was an RHD country. The gps should be easier to follow.

I had phone service when I was traveling around Ireland. If I had to pick one approach, I’d suggest that the Garmin is just easier. Lots of places in Ireland where the phone service is dodgy.

When we traveled through Ireland our rental vehicle had the option of adding a WiFi hotspot for a small cost which we elected to do. It was a mobile unit that was able to be plugged in to charge in the vehicle which meant we were also able to take it with us while we explored so just used our phones connected to the hotspot for all of our mapping needs.

Cool option Todd. I’ll look into that.

You beat me to it. These days we always rent a personal wifi to be picked up at the airport when we arrive and dropped off on leaving. We used Tep in London, not sure if they’re available in Ireland as well.

Edited to add: Googling “personal wifi rental ireland” brings up a lot of links.