Best overperforming wine you’ve ever had

I still have some bottles of this I kept only for novelty

1 Like

Barthod Bourgogne absolutely wows me every time for the level.

1 Like

1975 Irroy Cuvee Marie Antoinette

1906 Pol Roger from 375ml

1916 Chateau Cantemerle

1952 Louis Latour Corton Grancey

1 Like

2000 Ch. Villars Fronsac

I had very low expectations from this wine, and it was inexpensive to boot, but it was fantastic. Far overperformed, for me.

I’ve had mixed results aging Champagne in 375’s. I’m really curious how a Champagne in that format from 1906 could be not totally oxidized and undrinkable. What was it that made it special to you? Thanks.

Michael,

I very rarely buy half bottles of Champagne because of the aging issues you stated.
The person who opened several bottles of this during a several year period from 12-15 years ago bought a full case of it in the early 70’s. It’s possible that it was later disgorged, but if so, it still had a least 35 years of age post-disgorgement and surely more. The one very noticeable thing about the bottle was how heavy and thick the glass was.
As far as the wine itself, it had more sediment than any other Champagne that I’ve seen. Great complex and mature Champagne flavors, but it still had a fair amount of fruit. Only a touch of oxidative notes. Every bottle was relatively consistent. Best pre-1921 Champagne I’ve ever had and when I had the initial bottle, I thought it would surely be dead.

1 Like

I never tried the first two but I quite agree about the Marquis de Terme, which I found better than the Rauzan-Ségla at a fraction of its price. To be fair to him, Michel Bettane raved about the MdeT back in the day. Along with Haut-Bages-Libéral, the MdeT was one of my best surprises of the 90 vintage!

Great to hear about the Faiveley Latricières. I’ve been getting into Burgundy, can’t justify the prices for the majority of the grands crus, but did pick up a bottle of the 2005 a month ago when I saw a great price. When did you drink the 93?

My pick would be a pair of bottles of 1973 Viña Valoria Reserva that I found hidden in a wine shop that was closing last year. $50/bottle and they were both perfect. Haven’t found a QPR for aged Rioja like that outside of Spain.

1 Like

2001 Leoville Barton popped and poured a few years ago. Classic bord profile and I paid under $40.

It’s difficult to choose the absolute best over-performer. I’ve already mentioned HBL 1990, so I suppose Brane-Cantenac 1996, which was wonderful when I had the last bottle in 2015, far better than the measly 86 points awarded by RMP had led me to expect. Actually, another 96 comes to mind too - Lynch-Moussas 1996, which gave Lynch-Bages a run for its money a few years back.

In the summer of 1986, Morrell in NYC was having a close out sale for one of their many moves. I saw a North Fork Merlot I had never heard of, Lenz, on sale for $4.99. I grabbed a couple bottles and opened one that night. The next day, I bought another case. It remains one of the most amazing young merlots I have ever had.

1 Like

Juge Cornas, when it used to sit on shelves and I could get it for $49 with my case discount.

Julian Haart Schubertslay Kabinett, also when it used to sit on shelves at $30.

1978 Clos du Val Cabernet recently drank, purchased for $90 at auction.

Gonon VV at $80, ok I’ll stop…

1 Like

About two years into my wine journey in the late 90’s the Barrelli Creek vineyard Cabernets completely blew me away; I think it was the ‘95 or ‘96 that I bought cases of!

Recently, the ‘96 GPL has, for my tastes, performed about as well as I could hope for any wine. If every wine that I open showed as well as the 96 GPL, even those that cost several times more, I’d be happy.

Sheez, the money post. All of the above, and I concur. Incidentally, Bern’s had the 87 Clos du Val by the glass for much of last year for like $15. It was excellent. Didn’t even need to leave the bar.

2 Likes

Will have to check in on mine. Thanks

David, you must have unbelievable willpower. My 1982 la Lagune was consumed many years ago. [cheers.gif]

We had it about half a year ago and it was outstanding! I’ve also had other Faiveley from 93, which turned out to be great (although not quite as good as the Latricieres)

I wish, and not just for opening bottles.
A friend brought it. Secondary market purchase I believe.

Buying it for $7 a bottle in 1983 was better than a secondary market purchase.

I retired Chateau Meyney’s number for this category a long time ago. The 82, 83, 85, 86, 88, and 89 were/are amongst the wine world’s greatest over performers ever.

1 Like