Best Pizza Wine of the Year Under $17.45

I’m not the biggest fan of Dolcetto, but Trediberri’s Barbera and Nebbiolo are both very good and can be had for just slightly more. I should try the Dolcetto though.

PLEASE no Dolcetto … Barbera YES … (when in Italy) …
but at home I prefer a nice Cotes-du Rhone (last time Domaine de Ferrand VV 2009) or an Austrian Blaufränkisch …

This is a delicious bottle of wine and among my favorite dolcetto.

I love pizza but eat it rarely enough that I can still go Chianti and not worry that is 17.46 and up.

But also love the other traditional suggestions, especially those I’m not familiar with.

Long list but here are my favorites.

2010 Cosimo Taurino Salice Salentino Riserva - this was my favorite but its just about getting past it now.

2016 Tenuta di Nozzole Chianti Classico Riserva Nozzole
2017 Podere San Cristoforo Maremma Toscana Sangiovese Carandelle
2019 Col D’Orcia Rosso di Montalcino
2015 Allegrini Palazzo della Torre
2016 Castelli del Grevepesa Chianti Classico Riserva Castelgreve
2016 Castelli del Grevepesa Chianti Classico Riserva Clemente VII

I am about to start making my dough for today’s pizzas and likely going with either of these 2 wines below. The Amarone is in the $40s but the Ripasso was under 17.45

2015 Giuseppe Campagnola Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Riserva Caterina Zardini
2018 Corte Grande Valpolicella Ripasso Classico Superiore

2 Likes

2018 Petra Zingari Toscana comes in just below that price point and is a reliable weeknight pizza pairing

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Lambrusco, which can also work well, depending on saltiness and the toppings. Lini and Chiarli are two excellent options that meet the requirement.

2 Likes

Hi Michael,

I took your recommendation on this and picked up a couple of bottles for $10 each last night. Very little experience with Perricone here, but I’ll look forward to opening these with pizza sometime this coming fall or winter.

Give it a little bit of air. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do. [cheers.gif]

2 Likes

Why? I’ve been recommending Dolcetto with pizza for well over 40 years, really a hard match to beat. While I agree some cheaper Dolcettos can be a bit one dimensional, the better wines from Dogliani and the likes are really superb -

My go to pizza wine lately has been the last couple vintages of Mocali’s Ciliegiolo Alpan Maremma Toscana. The 2019 is terrific -

2 Likes

If you’re looking to fill up a case at Winebid, grab a few bottles of the 2016 Brugneto Riserva from San Marino. It’s a nice, pretty Sangiovese for $12.

3 Likes

Hi Marshall, good call one that as well. I actually bought a couple of bottles of the Brugneto earlier, and the one I opened during the spring was really nice.

1 Like

Here you go Ron. But sold it out. Should probablly keep these gems between you and I at $15.81 with tax!

2016 Tenuta Sette Ponti Crognolo Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (6/15/2022)
Day 1: Under $20 at Thomas Liquors in St. Paul. Bright cherry, sandalwood, spice, rose petals and minerals. Very tasty effort and drinking well now but should age until 2028. 91 points
Day 2: Even better with clay, sandalwood, cherry, vibrant floral notes, dust, raspberry and mineral streak on the finish. Outstanding value. 92 points
Recommendation: Buy it at Thomas Liquors but it sold out for under $20! (92 points) [cheers.gif]