Best Pop & Pour under $40 That's Readily Available

the 2016 is an exception, but it is phenomenal young and it can be a pnp, but it also will definitely improve with air. I have opened 3 already and likely to have another 2-3 this year, but the majority of what I bought won’t be touched until 2030+.

The Daou cabernet is a good pnp if you like the style and is under $20 at Costco, Binnys or Vin Chicago

The Ridge Geyserville is an interesting one if you buy large quantities because it has a well established track record of improving with time (minimum 5-7 years of improvement and maybe a lot more). The Lytton Springs and Pagani are also top notch and I’d be very happy rotating among the 3. Cheers.

There were some posts in other threads about these being made with big American oak notes now. Care to comment?

Did you see my signature line? (It was a joke). Ridge has a distinct style that includes a fair bit of oak that is more prominent young and seems to fade away with age rather slowly if at all. I’ve never been troubled by that aspect. Someone who finds oak signature objectionable or has particular sensitivity to oak may have issues. If in doubt, give them a try. Cheers.

This is a good choice, generally hanging right around $40, though I keep expecting these will bump up in price.

In principle, one could purchase a case of each cuvee. I expect some cuvees/vintages should age well, so having a decent quantity will hopefully ensure some make it to middle age.

2 Likes

I need to try the '16 again. I have only opened one of my bottles and found it tighter than most notes suggest. I really should try at least one more bottle before it shuts down, assuming that is still possible. I’ve found Vajra’s Albe and Azelia’s normale to be wide open since release though, and have enjoyed each immensely.

1 Like

Catena High Mnt Vines, either Cabernet or Malbec. Both under $20.

I havent opened a 16 Vajra yet, I have been meaning to though. Hopefully this month. The last of the PdB I had was in July and it looks like I felt a few more hours of air improved it more so than the first 2 bottles.

I think that this may have just inspired me to do a sbs between the PdB and Vajra this week!

it is pretty incredible how little talk about these wines there seems to be. Have you ever had Las Gundinas Tinto?

I’ve had them in the past and that is why I was curious with all the talk lately about more oak. American oak vs French yields very different qualities some would liken to say a good bourbon - smoky, spikiness. If you like bourbon, you’ll like American oaked wines.

Not always. I got the 2018 for about $35.

If OP can drink 20 cases of something happily, they probably like the style/region/varietal etc. I find it strange they are not willing to share what it was, as they might help guide helpful suggestions.

Idk. I have never had quite 20 cases of anything, but my most consumed bottles are all completely different grapes and regions and so are my most owned bottles. Even more interestingly, my favorite varietal (Sangiovese) doesn’t actually appear in any of these 10 bottles besides 5% of the Valpolicella

These are each specific bottles from most consumed down
1 Negroamaro from Puglia
2 Garnacha from Calatayud
3 GSM from CdR
4 Tempranillo from Rioja
5 Sauternes
6 Corvina from Valpolicella

Most owned
1 nebbiolo from barbaresco (2016 pdb)
2 malbec from Mendoza (2017 Altos las hormigas Gualtallary)
3 tempranillo from RdD (2009 el Pedrosal)
4 Cabernet from Tuscany (2013 buriano)

he might just like just about everything.

Well, from the OP, it seems like they got a ‘great deal’ and ‘bought every case available’ so I would think that someone who did that might just be wasting people’s time fishing for suggestions, when its price that determines the purchase decision, and not what the wine is.

It’s not like there is some shortage of threads on wines people like that are good values…

That there was some song by the same name. [wow.gif]

1 Like

Yep, at this price point, Produttori is a good idea. I usually buy a case at a time as a house wine.

This is a fun thread. I haven’t seen any champagne suggestions, unfortunately. What would people recommend for 20 cases of champagne priced $40 or less?

2019 Chappellet Mtn Cuvee- the 19 is outstanding and a step up from earlier vintages I’ve tried.
2019 Ruston Napa Cabernet- would need to order from the winery. I posted a thread on the Ruston release
Antinori Tenuta Guado al Tasso Il Bruciato -always solid and shows well after a short decant.
Patricia Green Pinot Noir Reserve

1 Like

Yes, I have tried all four cuvees, albeit from different vintages. I definitely lean towards Vitoriana and Rapolao, but liked Poulosa and Gundinas. The latter two seemed less structured and ready to go out of the gate in 2018.

1 Like