Best Ultra dry champagne

your contributions are amazing, Brad.

I agree (even the 13 month old contributions)! [wink.gif]

I had my first bottle of Ruppert-Leroy today and I was very impressed. I’m eager to try more and see if other bottles show as good as this one did. Terrific.

• NV Ruppert-Leroy Champagne Pinot Noir Brut Nature Les Cognaux - France, Champagne (3/11/2018)
    First bottle of this, and first time with this producer. I am impressed. This is a zero dose bottling, too. Light brioche with a distinctly savory quality, a kind of tarragon or herb thing. I don’t mean this as a negative, but quite the opposite, as it’s uniquely good. Lemony citrus and after a good deal of air, this showed a persistent chalky note into the finish. I like this for $50 and I’m prepared to buy more of this producer when it hits my radar again.

Posted from CellarTracker

Indeed. As is Bereche Les Beaux Regards.

+2 on the Roederer Brut Nature. They’ve only made it twice and I like both '06 and '09. I hear people talk about Roederer in the same way as many of the mega-production negociants, but I was told their brut nature is made from a single biodynamic vineyard that they own.

+1.

Did you ever try one, Alan?

+1

I think they make 4 or 5 cuvée. Great stuff. Drier than a popcorn fart.

Tried a couple, nothing to severe though. I do love them and nee to track down some of the smaller grower options mentioned

Veuve Fourny & Fils Champagne Brut Nature is really nice and reasonably priced.

I’ve always considered Janisson Baradon a reliable but a tad boring producer, but their Non-Dosé NV really managed to surprise me. Sure, it was bright and mineral as a non-dosage Champ should be, but its pronounced toasty character and even suggestions of oxidative nuttiness served as a perfect foil to the lack of sweetness, making the wine come across less lean and austere as many non-dosages without showing any residual sweetness.

I also concur on the abovementioned point with Marguet. They really do make spectacular wines - although their very burly and muscular style might not be everyone’s cup of tea.

For under $20, the Gruet Blanc de Blancs Sauvage is pretty hard to beat on value. Super crisp and clean.

Roederer Starck/Brut Nature is the only one I’ve bought more than once…

I do like the '09 Roederer Brut Nature, and am actually serving it this Friday to my tasting group at work. It and the Laurent-Perrier are my two favorites in the category

I am with Otto. The Marguet range is really something terrific, quickly has become my top producer of bubbly in my own cellar.