Best Value Wine Region for Great Wine?

1. Languedoc
  2. Languedoc
  3. Languedoc
  4. Languedoc
  5. Languedoc

+1 When I read this thread I see a lot of support for Good wines, but not many cases for GREAT wines at a value. As a Washington resident/drinker we have lots of really good wines that are values compared to some other regions, but the GREAT wines, and I think they exist in Washington led by Cayuse, Quilceda Creek, some others, still end up being priced to what the market will bare, $100-150+, which means they then donā€™t meet definition of ā€œvalueā€, at least not for me.

To me GREAT means a 95+ score on a wine consistently and value means $50, maybe even $75 or less (when it meets that GREAT target). So that criteria may not even exist.

1. Germany (and by a large margin as others have said). I would say esp. the MSR. Truly great producers like Prum, von Schubert, Zilliken, etc., etc., etc., sell wines from top vineyards at less than Bourgogne prices. There is an exception for a lot of overpriced wines in Germany labeled GG but for the most part if you did not say Germany first, you are just wrong.

2. Loire. There are now a few higher priced wines from the Loire, but for the most part these are fabulous values.

3. CĆ“te Chalonnaise. I keep telling myself I should drink more wines from this region but somehow I never do. But, I bet if you put some of the best pinots and chardonnays from this region against top ones from California and Oregon wines from the Chalonnaise would do very well on both quality and value. I give William Kelley huge props for often touting producers from this region on wine threads here.

Note that I agree that there are great value wines from places like Sicily, the Languedoc, etc., but the OP asked about values in ā€œGreat Wineā€, not good very wine.

I know that this may sound like a biased opinion, but I truly believe the Santa Barbara County area continues to excel at QPR wines in general. Yes, there are exceptions to the rule, but compared to other regions near us and much further north of us, you get more for your money here - and the quality level, in general, is quite high.

Cheers

1 Like

I will say this, SBC produces some really varied QPR wines. From Jim Clendenenā€™s Pinots and Chards to you and several other producers making rhone varietals, SBC produces some really varied QPR wines that are worth exploring. Not least because of the sheer variety fo wines that the region is able to put out

Any recommendations in particular?

And some really horribly overpriced wines that show some of the worst of bigger is better, esp. some wines from Rhone varieties.

German GGsā€¦some say overpriced, others say among the greatest white wines in the world and still mostly, and amazingly, under $100.

Interested to hear examples please. And you know, the same can be said for the Rhone itself [snort.gif]

Cheers

Mas de Daumas Gassac, for sure.

LĆ©on Barral and Maxime Magnon make some terrific wines from the more old-school end, while Domaine de lā€™AiguliĆØre makes great wines in a more modern style. Wines of Domaine de lā€™Hortus fall somewhere in-between. Both the reds and whites develop wonderfully and often require some years in a cellar before showing their best.

Iā€˜m surprised how many of you are voting for Germany. But Iā€˜m also some kind of happy because I have a lot of german Riesling in my cellar.

But one question: do you mean only the Riesling or also the Pinot Noir / SpƤtburgunder?

Speaking for myself only, I mean Riesling. I love some German spatburgunder, as well as sylvaner and scheurebe and other varieties, and think there are many very good, very good value wines being made; but I do not think these compete on the level of great wine the way German Riesling does.

Pic Saint Loup, Corbieres and Minervois to start for reds (all are Syrah/Grenache/Mourvedre/Cinsault blends ala Cotes du Rhone) - Dozens of great producers - look for Kermit Lynch, Neal Rosenthal, Louis Dressner and other top importers on the back labels. $15.00 gets you a great bottle of wine - how many other regions mentioned on this thread can say that?

And for bubbly, Blanquet de Limoux, which is Chardonnay and Pinot Noir ala Champagne. The better bottlings compare with lesser Champagnes.

Thatā€™s Cremant de Limoux.

Blanquette is minimum 90% Mauzac.

Thatā€™s right - thanks Otto -

My vote goes to Mendoza region in Argentina for chardonnay and c.s. base wines.

Yes - Germany is not a region !

Big fan of Barral, great call.

Otto, until the post right at the bottom of page one, the quoted here was your third (and there is another here on page two, totaling four) posts from you in opposition to what someone else posted without you posting your opinion at any point earlier.

To the question at hand, I think there is such a wide variety of very inexpensive great wines (red and white) in Tuscany that Iā€™ll throw my money there.

I was in the Santa Barbara area for a couple of days several years ago. I enjoyed some wines I had there a great deal like Sanford and have really liked Au Bon Climat a good bit on other occasions when I have had it. But, we also went to a couple of tasting rooms (one in a town and one in a wine store near Los Olivos) and much of what I tasted seemed really over the top. I really do not remember all of the names of the Rhone style wines I did not like but I think one of the wineries was named Beckman or something like that. I really also actively disliked Pinots either on that trip or around that time from wineries like Loring and Sea Smoke and another one that was big at the time. Frankly, I have pretty much avoided wines from the area unless they are ABC or Sanford so I donā€™t have more recent examples.

I agree with you on the wines from the Rhone, esp. the Southern Rhone. While there are some great ones like Rayas, I am not a big fan of a lot of them. By contrast, I am a much bigger fan of southern French wines from Bandol, in particular Chateau Pradeaux, Pibarnon and Tempier.