Best wine book for newbies?

Adventures on the Wine Route by Kermit Lynch.

Tom

I think your last statement there is why I leaned my reccs towards books that are really enjoyable reads for a newbie. Especially for a parent, sitting down and reading something that tells a story like Wine and War or Cork Dork gives an insight into the wine world while still being something that doesn’t feel quite so much like a labor of love to read, and won’t get used as just a reference book either

There is so much info in RMP’s Wine Buyer’s Guides. I know he’s not the most popular fella here, but the basic info is great.

Also, Hugh Johnson Pocket Wine Books were my handy dandy got to for years.

You and I have recommended different books but seem to be thinking in similar ways.

I am late to this…

Big thumbs up and support for Karen McNeil and the Wine Bible. I took a ‘Mastering European Wine’ Course taught by Karen in 2000-ish and she is wonderful - this flows to her book.

Seriously cool lady too!

Erik

I liked the Wine Bible, too.

She should read it on the helicopter ride to Screagle.

Me too. It is a bit dated now, but even so I think I would still recommend it.

Was thinking that Amazon spam bot was just screwing with me.

I will tone down my response and omit your silly invective because I am trying to learn to stop beating up people just because they are silly enough to decide to pick a fight with me for no good reason. Let’s just say that I have 520 bottles of European wine in my cellar and another two cases waiting to be picked up, which hardly reflects an anti-European bias. Can you say the same for California? I should also point out that Italy and Spain, mentioned in my post that you complained about, are in Europe, in case you hadn’t noticed. I own a copy of the Hugh Johnson Atlas of Wines and it’s autographed by Jancis Robinson. It is a very valuable resource, BUT NOT for someone who is just “getting into” wine. It is outrageously biased in the relativity of its treatment. Finally, as to my contribution to this thread, you quote ONLY from my second post and complain about my lack of contribution. My first post on this thread suggested a specific book.

The book you recommended is one you said you have not read cover to cover but merely thumbed through at Barnes and Noble. What a recommendation!!! I have over 100 bottles of domestic wine (top producers being Ridge, Chateau Montelena and Stony Hill), have been drinking them for over 40 years and have visited Napa and Sonoma multiple times.

You and I have recommended different books but seem to be thinking in similar ways.[/quote]

the Wine Route is the next one on my list, I have a feeling I’ll corroborate your opinion when I’m done.

Right now I’m reading through the CSW study guide, which is an awesome resource if a fairly detailed overview is the goal. the e-book is just $20!

I disagree with you on this Jay. This was truer with the earlier editions, less so now. Stop by a bookstore and take a look. And far more useful to a novice than Books like Adventures on the Wine Route, which I love. This in not a time to sit by the fire and read, but it has excellent information on vineyard around the world, which I used as a reference when I started exploring wine. Does it have shortcomings? Of course. All of the books listed here do. But I found it quite valuable as a primer in my early days of exploration

Maureen,

Jancis Robinson’s “How to Taste Wine” and Zraly’s “Windows on the World Wine Course” are the two I would strongly recommend. Robinson’s book has a basic, no-nonsense step by step on how to taste wine, and makes things not so intimidated for someone looking to learn the game. It has fun anecdotes about missed blinds, if I recall correctly, and makes the whole tasting rigmarole something breezy.

The Zraly guide is an encyclopedia. A wonderfully informative reference guide for anyone who is curious about wine but who might not want to show their ignorance by asking folks a whole bunch of questions. Want to learn more about Sauvignon Blanc? Great, just crack the book, run the index, find the growing regions, learn about what they taste like where, why, and who produces wines with regional typicality so you can go out and get yourself a decent education.

I very much enjoyed those two books, and still crack open Zraly’s book when I’m trying to bone up on a region or gain a little additional knowledge about producers or what makes X taste different from Y.

Italian Wine for Dummies

Wine For Dummies is what started me on the road to financial ruin. It provides a fantastic overview for the neophyte. Many of the other suggestions are great, but the majority of them are written for someone who already has some basic level of understanding about wine.

The Wine Bible is hard to beat. It’s always my recommendation to people who ask this question.

Depending on your willingness to disassociate from the author Vino Italiano by Joe Bastianich is quite good.

I agree with ‘Adventures on the wine route’ for kindling interest and appreciation; ‘How to taste’ for it’s practical approach; and Zraly or Wine Folly for overall basics. ‘What to drink with what you eat’ by Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg is fun and reinforces wine as an accompaniment to meals.

I like to browse through the Schoonmaker Encyclopedia of Wine, revised by Bespaloff. No pictures, but the info is always interesting. Probably out of date, definitely out of print. But I still like it, and would recommend it.
Phil Jones

Old but awesome