Best Wine Retailers

What ever happened to Posner on the board? He used to be a regular participant way back in the day.

I think theyā€™ve even started using temp-control on delivery day. My most recent delivery on a hot summer day came in Dallas to my house in a van with a wine-branded sign on top (Something like ā€œVino-Vehicleā€). The wine was chilled. Itā€™s possible that the vehicle wasnā€™t ā€˜refrigeratedā€™ per se, and was simply air conditioned for the driverā€™s comfort (such that the wine was still cold from before it was loaded), but it didnā€™t appear to have a separate cargo hold that could be any hotter than the vehicle itself.

1 Like

I was just at Envoyer and Greg said they had found a door to door cold shipping chain to Texas.
I found some bottles at B-21 recently and their shipping seemed really really high.

Empirewine would actually be on my list; Iā€™ve been cleaning up the cellar and found probably 10 cases Iā€™ve gotten recently which have been great wines at excellent prices. They also have very nice packaging and ship super quickly.

1 Like

Just doing a search on some wines and Saratoga had some great prices and did not know they ship to MN. Looks like a new operation I will do business with. [cheers.gif]

Used to be advocate for B21. Now, NFW
Yes to Sokolin
Yes to JJB

Retailer experiences:

EmpireWine: great prices, customer service generally gets it done
Saratoga Wine: great prices, good Loire Valley selection, decent Gattinara selection, have Vallana but not the Gattinara anymore
WineWorks: great prices, decent customer service
FirstBottle: okay pricing, great CS
WineAccess: pricing is hit or miss, coupons help even things out and bring some high prices down to reasonable. CS is unmatched in my experience
Invino: good prices, CS is quick on the response, havenā€™t had any issues
Wine.com: coupons generally needed, though some bottles are priced well, coupons help a lot, as does StewardShip. CS is solid in my experience
WineLibrary: Great prices on wine, free shipping is expensive at $100, but worth it if you buy volume. Selection changes often, though there seems to be inventory struggles. CS is responsive, inventory seems to lag a bit

Wine Library has a large cold room on the second floor that is fun to explore whenever I visit the store.

You do realize that the entire point of a retail shop is to move product out the door? So storage isnā€™t something I would expect. Some will keep until shipping season, but thatā€™s pretty much it unless you want to pay a fee for some storage site nearby. As to ā€œbestā€ as others have said, it depends on what you mean.

Chambers has one of the better selections of older wines and they donā€™t mark them up to silly prices. Wine Library still has a huge selection and they run deals every so often. K&L and Winex on the west coast are discounters like Wine Library and they rely on volume movement. Sometimes they have interesting wines that they bring in themselves, so theyā€™re worth looking at. In NYC, PJ Wine at one time had the best selection of Spanish wines in the country, but that was a while ago under prior management. Sherry-Lehman is one of the oldest shops around and theyā€™re good if you want to find futures on Bordeaux. And out in White Plains is Grapes the Wine Company, which has a nice collection and great service.

In Berkeley, you canā€™t forget Kermit Lynch, who in a way was a pioneer for all the little specialty wine shops. Rare Wine Company is another one that tries to source older wines. But then there are a few specialty dealers that do primarily that, like CellarRaiders.

As to storage, donā€™t sweat that too much. Your wine is a bit hardier than many people think and at somewhere along the supply chain route, it was NOT in cold storage.

So it really depends on what youā€™re looking for and when.

Woodland Hills is excellent- selection, prices and service. The unmentioned gorilla in this thread are 1) diminishing states to which you can ship from retail 2) sales tax charged. There seems to be a great deal of variation on both of these even coming from the same state. K and L has dropped out of state shipping largely and Rare Wine Co will ship to OR but not WA for example. Rye Brook does not charge sales tax for out of state but Sokolin and Morrell do. Getting to be quite a game.

Any specifics you recall? My impression whenever I stop by and browse is that their pricing is pretty poor on stuff I like. Eg, 2020 Lapierre Morton at $42 vs $30 at Bassinā€™s.

They have nice sales every now and then when you can get things cheaper than Bassins, but not too often. Although, I have been to some incredible wine dinners sponsored by them

Flickinger for access to aged wines with some of the best prices in the country retail

The two stores I buy the most from are Bassins (MacArthur) and Envoyer.

1 Like

JJ Buckley Private Client is one of the best.

Favorites:
Chambers St.
Flatiron - Iā€™ve only picked up in person there but have heard good things about their shipping
Benchmark

Places Iā€™ve bought occasionally and been very happy:
SommPicks
R Squared
Saratoga
Down to Earth

When Vinopolis would still ship to NJ I loved them

I indulged that curiosity in summer 2019. Not really worth it. Some interesting wine on the shelves but they are listed online and most stock is offsite. And it does look like your typical strip mall wine-liquor store.

Wine.com has worked out well for me.
Descent selection, prices are on the high side but with discounts its a wash.
The free shipping for a year is great, but since they are in the bay area and I am in San Diego 500 miles away ground shipments go through the central valley which is really hot half of the year. So it ends up being effectively only half a year of free shipping. I did use overnight shipping once and the extra cost was not that much after all the discounts.
The nice thing is I can order one bottle to try and not worry about shipping cost.