Best Wine to Pair with Caviar?

I could not agree more.

Though I also feel the same way re Gamay v. Pinot Noir.

Back in the day, when Faith Stuart Gordon ran the Russian Tea Room it was shot glass of vodka served buried in a burgundy glass filled with crushed ice. Other than the caviar and blini the rest of the menu was barely edible, but the ice cold vodka was fantastic. Na Zdorovie!!!

IMO only a full bodied Champagne works with Caviar.

Iced vodka.

Vodka very cold and a french bread with a little butter.

Hmmm… VODKA. Chilled, in freezer. Have no idea what the discussion is about otherwise.

Just don’t leave the Vodka in the freezer for days, evaporation is a problem.

I’ve left bottles in there for weeks and weeks with no problem. As long as the closure seals properly, nothing gets out.

Oh, and I can’t taste any nuance in any wine after a bite of caviar (which I love). I save the wine for later. Very cold vodka does cleanse the palate nicely. Drinking high end Champagne with caviar would be a complete waste for me. The caviar taste lingers and combines with the wine (not pleasant), even if I wait a bit after swallowing the caviar.

I think your teenager is …

Fast rack or slow?
Fastrack:In Russia with vodka is common, perhaps because the bubbly I found in the beryozkas(hard currency stores for tourists and dipolomatic corps) many moons ago used to be rather sweet.
Low salt caviar,malossol, is my preference and no salty potato chips. Try it on melba toast with creme fraich and a hint of scallion.
Crunchy 000 Beluga Petrosian Bros in 1000 gram tins, oh my, they were “reasonable” at wholesale and hundred gram tins were chump change. Our 49er Super Bowl parties were tons o fun in the Opulent Eighties!

Interestingly, I have this same experience after some bites of caviar, but not others. It’s odd.

We did an experimental pairing with a Russian River Valley Zinfandel of ours and it really was quite interesting in terms of the effect the caviar had on the wine. Best way I can describe it was elevating the fruit and spice elements, while reducing the perception of acid and tannin. This was straight caviar off the thumb, no blini, etc. Very different than the typical experience with Champagne or other sparkling wines. Obviously, not the classic pairing, but worth a try.

Brian Maloney
DeLoach Vineyards

There are some around here who think vodka has zero redeeming value beyond alcohol delivery. Caviar and vodka is always a great match. Having spent 2 years in Ukraine I learned the lesson well.

Brilliant!

I am in the Champagne camp, but I like the lowest residual sugar possible, so “natural brut” or whichever term works best.

Roderer 2009 Brut Nature is out now and affordable, a great match.

Sarah’s post rocked!

That doesn’t surprise me… salt stimulates my ability to taste sweet (fruit) flavors. I’ll often use it in a dessert

In general, that’s my feeling about vodka - it’s the only alcohol we don’t stock in our speed rack for cocktails. But there is something magic about good vodka chilled with caviar.

Well, this, too!

Now I know what I want for lunch…but it ain’t gonna happen. [cheers.gif]

For me champagne cleanses the palate too agressively to really interact with caviar. Both are nice but they do not marry well in my mouth. A marsanne based Hermitage Blanc is a far more interesting pairing as it has many of the same salty, mineral and slightly bitter notes you also find in caviar, not to mention the oily texture of both. They really interact in a seamless manner and there is a common thread trough both. However, the lack of bubbles takes away that party feeling and the bling.

What are some examples of “good vodka”?

I keep a bottle of Zubrowka (Bison grass vodka) in the freezer. Now I’m thinking I should have tried it with the caviar.