Beta release coming...

I got the email after only recently signing up- does anyone know if that means I will get an allocation or does the announcement go out to all? Thanks

I would think so. Although it will sell out so be fast.

Excellent, thanks.

So last year as 3 packs of each for $255? Going to have to ‘re-work’ that budget again

And it’s open…order in!
However, after reading the letter really unfortunate and awful the impact of the fires on Ketan’s property…just terrible.

1 Like

Looks like the offer is open now…

In for both. I am regretting not ordering the Monticello last year.

In for both. Can’t believe what they’ve been going through. Happy to support with this purchase.

Seems like the damage was much worse than suggested upthread. In for a 3-pack of each.

It was pretty bad, I have seen the pictures. Devastation. Needless to say my order is in. And so happy the vineyard was not completely destroyed and will hopefully prove to be resilient.

Supporting Ketan. In for 3 packs of each

1 Like

Wow. What a rough experience. One fire after another.

For those who did not receive the email, here it is. Sounds pretty devastating.

Beta Wines
Fall 2020:2014 Release

October 13th, 2020

Hi,

2020 has been a challenge for every living thing on this big greenish blue marble, its weight not escaping any corner. While looking to forget the current world state, harvest this year was much needed, but for us never really came. The 2020 vintage was looking to be stellar, and the second crop off of our home vineyard on Diamond Mountain, Jasud. Fires started and smoke came, which took away the annual ritual that completes our cycle for the year. We picked the two vineyards we currently farm, Jasud and Hamilton, and didn’t pick Montecillo, Vare, Lupina or Maus due to smoke taint. In all likelihood we will not be selling the little amount of wine made this vintage.

This year not being one to allow any respite, the Glass Fire started a few weeks after our choice to not pick had been made. We woke that Sunday morning to a disaster just starting to unfold. The winery which we moved into a month prior in Saint Helena was being threatened by fire, all of the 18s and 19s as well as the wines being offered to you today were about to be destroyed. With luck and help, a group of us fought the fires back and kept the winery from burning by mere feet. After that long day I went home to take a shower and then Spring Mountain lit up. That night the community came together again, we evacuated houses, horses, and people as the fire started to rage on both sides of the valley…everything was burning. The next few days were spent fighting spot fires and keeping things at bay where we could, not having any idea that the fire was creeping toward our ranch on Diamond Mountain. By the time we were able to get up to the vineyard the damage had been done. The fire burned so hot it vaporized almost everything it came in contact with on our property. In the end we lost the house, shops, tools, tractors and one excavator. Half of the vineyard was burned, most of which we hope will recover but honestly we won’t know for a while. Some of our heavy equipment and random personal belongings made it out unscathed, but everything else ceases to exist, not even a shovel. In all of this tragedy there is a lot to be thankful for, we are still alive and healthy and that is all one can really hope for. We will rebuild and replant and keep moving forward because that is the only direction to go, and along the way there will be many silver linings found. All of this makes me deeply appreciative to be able to make wine and to share it, to truly be able to complete the circle.

While 2014 seems lifetimes ago currently, it is the other year I am writing to you about today. It was a drought year and not that particularly hot. Both Vare and Montecillo were picked the second week in September, which started an early trend that has yet to let up with the drought and other circumstances. Wines from this vintage seem to be more muscular and floral than 13. These wines saw 23 months in neutral barrels and were only racked for bottling. At least a 2 hour decant is needed if you are going to have them in the next few years. I really love these wines and I think they are just starting to drink well.

Everything that has happened this year and especially recently has made this valley truly feel like home. The unbelievable way friends and family have come together to support each other in such hard times is hard to put into words. This road was always going to a been long one, unfortunately it just got a little longer, but we aren’t going anywhere. If anything, rebuilding will only make our determination more resolute.

Ketan Mody

Reading Ketan’s note really brings home how terrible this fire season has been, and how resilient the community must be. I was thinking about getting either the Vare or the Montecillo, but am in for 3 of each.

in for a 6 pack.

I can barely imagine the resilience that it takes to go through what Ketan and others have, and still be waking up every day to keep going, and even be positive about the future.

1 Like

That was the easiest purchase of the year. I’m excited to try Ketan’s wines and support his efforts in the face of some really tough obstacles. The path he choose originally was not the easy one so I take heart in the final sentence of his release letter and look forward to cheering along the way

“This road was always going to a been long one, unfortunately it just got a little longer, but we aren’t going anywhere. If anything, rebuilding will only make our determination more resolute.”

1 Like

Really sad news. In for 6 plus a mag

I’ve only recently been made aware of Beta - just placed my first order. Looking forward to trying the wine - thanks all for the tip!

Went for 3 of each as last time.

In for 3 of each