Better Mashed Potatoes...Ricer or Food Mill?

La Ratte potatoes + ricer + butter + tamis

I used to be able to get “rattes” at my local Farmers Market. Donaldson Farms dropped out and this summer I haven’t been able to find them. Of course American farms call them “fingerlings” but you can tell, they are bigger (rat size) and the texture is truly interesting. Cut up in soups, they have a nice firm chew and they serve other purposes as well.

I am not even sure I have tried the “ratte” fingerlings as mashed potatoes. One farm said they would be digging them next week, and we will see.

Frank: I made the Robuchon recipe tonight with Ratte potatoes. Love them!

I didn’t have any trash talk for the Suicide NFL Pool, but here, I gotta say, anybody using EITHER a ricer or a food mill is a sissy.
(if pressed, I’d think food mill.)

I think the ricer is the way to go. Lightest mash and no overworking the potato.

There is no gluten in potatoes. The Kitchen Aid will, however, very readily rupture the starch granules in potato cells - yielding a gluey mess.

We use the same ricer that David Wright pictured above, and like Benjamin said above, the potatoes come out nice and light. Now if only Wegama’s would get truffles back in stock to make a good truffle mashed as the weather is perfect for them right now! Truffle oil/truffle salt is just not the same. -mJ

Tomorrow going up to Westfield to visit the Donaldson Farms booth.

I plan to buy tons of stuff including their potatoes which look EXACTLY like these

Hi Mark,

I forgot to post that on Tuesday I made a nice dinner of boneless pork chops with mashed potato and a celery/carrot puree.

I figured I’d fire up the food processor and see what happened.

The celery/carrot blend turned out a chunky mush but I wasn’t really trying to sieve it and make it really smooth as much as mash it down so I guess I need to do some research on that if I want to try and do something legit.

The potatoes came out really goopy even though they were smooth and really had a shiny, gelatinous look and taste to them. As I don’t normally do them this way it was interesting and surprising. I’m glad you started this thread as I’ve learned quite a few things about making mashed potatoes!

I have both a ricer & food mill & am NOT a sissy. I prefer my ricer, unequivocally.

Most of the time I hand mash the potatoes and then wisk them. This seems to fluff them up and just about eliminates any chunks. For company I will use a ricer, especially when the grandkids come for dinner. They get to help by filling and squeezning the ricer. newhere

Cheers,
Curt

I knew that. blush

Grilled Skirt Steak, sauce verte, roasted asparagus, and possibly the lightest, most delicious mashed potatoes I’ve ever made:

Yukon Gold potatoes passed through a food mill, heavy cream, unsalted butter, S&P.

The Sauce Verte:

Anchovies
Jalapeno pepper
Salt Packed Capers
Green Olives
Cornichon
Garlic
Shallot
Flat Leaf Parsley
Dijon
EVOO

Food mill…but I’m lazy so I use a ricer.

Listen to the man who resides in the Kingdom of Russets.

I think too many people are influenced by Alton Brown’s anti- “unitasker” ideology (read schtick) and reflexively discriminate against tools that do one thing, but do it better than anything other.

I agree, and that’s why this is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets.

I don’t see a big difference in the way they function.
Both push the cooked spuds through a disc.

These were really good and not gluey or heavy at all.

Ah, but the food mill stirs the potatoes as it pushes them through holes… the ricer does not. No stirring = fluffy potatoes without a hint of glue.

Disclaimer: 9 out of 10 times I simply smash the potatoes with a big fork or something… they are more chunky than not. But when smooth mashed potatoes are desired, the ricer delivers the goods.

I’ve been following this discussion with some interest – however, when I take the trouble to use the ricer, I am usually doing something special like making gnocchi.

For every-day mashed potatoes, I do it like Mom did.

Brothers from a different mother