Big changes at the Wine Advocate- Parker reportedly cashes out and gives up editorial control

Eric, have you already got her number on speed dial? Or is it no longer going to be worth the effort? [stirthepothal.gif]

And how good is CT’s support for Mandarin?

This is exactly right, imo: the buyers want the brand, planning to shift from a subscriber base still largely founded on loyalty to one mainly founded on prestige, in a young, more highly-populated market, where the influence of prestige is relatively great. The introduction of advertising will steer the WA in the direction of luxury life-style pubs, like the Spectator.

As John noted earlier, the WA substantially changed its character when it shifted from two writers to a full staff; after a little time, the new version will bear little resemblance to the original, imo. Unrelated, Salmon’s suggestion that scoring will fall by the wayside seems weak.

Business or organizations built on this model struggle when the leader steps aside. Whatever the TWA transition, it will be significantly different in the future.

My first and last post regarding RP.

Any examples of ‘franchises’ surviving the main input of those contributing to the success. Is Halliwell’s movie book still going?

This is the most plausible explanation to what has happened. I think she got the investors before others could and boom, she’s in charge!

I will check, Ken. Maybe not nasty comments, but certainly with a seething, sold-out-by-Bob quality all. I cannot say whether I will be writing for the new WA or not, but I was in Singapore with Lisa P-BJ and Neal Martin. Richard Jennings was with us, too. And Gary Vaynerchuk. Also Hugh Johnson and Jancis. And Ron Washam, The HoseMaster of Wine. Ron is definitely part of the new WA dream team. There figures to be a whole lotta hosin’ going on! All that I can say for sure is that if Squires survives the purge, then no, I will not write for the Noveau Wine Advocate. They may not be much, but even I have my standards!

Eric, you cannot know, but if bitching by print subscribers on the Squires board is any indication, there are maybe 17 left!

I think you guys are significantly underestimating the valuation. Just think of the $40 million that was paid for the Kosta Brown “brand”. The only way you announce a deal like this without all of the current writers locked up is if it is too good to pass up. My guess is this deal is valuated at around 10x current revenues with earn outs and equity.

KFC is still going strong decades after the death of Col. Sanders. [cheers.gif]

+1 on this - wickedly smart move on his part, as WA was not exactly growing in readership/membership lately. This will allow the brand to take on a whole new market share, if done correctly, and revive it in a way that the previous team was unable to do. I doubt they will focus too much on Asia, but certainly more than it has recently, and it will be quite difficult to remain neutral while accepting advertising contracts from those whose wines are reviewed…that one I just don’t get.

Still, RMP was able to cash out of a business that was in decline (based on subscription count estimates only) and likely for a sick amount of money, while still staying on board as a paid Chairman. Smart.

In the article in the WSJ it says

“We envisage eventually allowing some advertising, but only from sponsors where there is absolutely no conflict of interest,” said Ms. Perrotti-Brown. A luxury watch or a credit card would be an acceptable, for example, but no winery or wine-related business will be allowed to advertise.

The question will be “A luxury watch” like TAG Heuer (owned by LVMH)?

Ah thats exactly the type of example I meant…

:slight_smile:

With LPB voicing her desire to control the reviews more, I wonder what that means for some of the less commercially viable wine regions of the world. I’d hate to see David’s commentary, which I’ve enjoyed over the years, diminish since he doesn’t write about Bordeaux, Burgundy, Rhone, Piedmont, California…

It may be the most relevant, Russell.

Ken, “nasty” should be replaced with “pissed off”. Squires seemed to indicate that he is staying on, although nobody actually asked. Martin’s post, along with his presence in Singapore recently, makes it clear that he is in. Everybody else is silent at the moment. Including Jay Miller, Pancho Campo, Rovani and Thomases. Not sure that they have offers from the Dragon Lady. Gil Lempert-Schwarz states that Goldman Sachs had a hand in this, which means that business is REALLY slow in Asia. This deal could not be worth much more to Goldman than the typical Goldman partner’s monthly wine, ho and blow budget! That I would believe. Also that P-BJ was the conduit, but did not put this deal together for herself. Is her husband a Goldmanite?

That was my thought as well, as specifically ‘luxury’ was mentioned, and luxury conglomerates own many of the highest end wines, many of whom are reviewed well in WA, historically.

I wonder how Neal and Antonio feel about this, especially Antonio.

Todd, get any big time offers for Berserkers yet? Investors are all sheep. First they will try to buy the Spectator, then I bet they will come for Berserkers ahead of the Wine Enthusiast!

[snort.gif]

There had been talk the past couple of years that Antonio had purchased an ownership stake and that the original “plan” was that he was eventually going to take over the Wine Advocate. Sounds like he may have been out maneuvered, or cashed out. One has to wonder at this point what future role, if any, he may have.