Biggest Berserker Recommended Disappointment: What is yours?

Interesting question. I can’t think of an example of a WB recommendation (at least one that I considered) that led me astray.

probly the best candidates are most of Rogness’s music links…

Even though I love the zins, the 2012 Bedrock Ode to Lulu Rose… very disappointing.

[stirthepothal.gif] [stirthepothal.gif]

I’ve heard that wine is transformational, but only if you drink it fast - speed is integral.

:wink:

I’ll bong chug it if I run across it.

+1

Could not get around to liking the Zins. Syrahs were nice. I dropped off the list.

A producer with a great story, and one you would love to honor, but I just could not get a rise out of the Zins.

I actually had the exact opposite experience earlier this year (although this isn’t the first time I’ve heard that about LM).

I went with a couple friends and we showed up without a reservation which was unexpected but they were very accommodating. We had a walk through the vineyard and sat down to have quite a few different wines poured for us. Most of course were only available to the club that we said we would not be joining. We ended up purchasing maybe only 6 bottles among all of us and they were still very appreciative and kind. It was our best experience of the trip.

I don’t know whether it is the wine (and am too lazy to get my ass off the sofa and go down to the basement) but I got a case of whatever the Stefania red was for Berserkerday, which was at a good cheap-cheap-cheap price. I thought the first bottle was horrible, but the last three I’ve had were really quite good - and especially good for the price. I’d stick with it.

I think you might have misread the OP.

I’ve read several bad notes on the '10 Haut Tubee. I loved the '09 and wish I’d bought more, but I’ve been hesitant to try my '10s until I start seeing some better reports on CT. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it will eventually show like the rest of the Stefania wines.

There is one, but since the winemaker is a frequent contributor on the board,I don’t see what good it does calling their brand out.

All I can say is I can’t stand the wine, I would rate it in the high 70 s at best.

No issues with any of the recommendations. I have a multi-year membership to Wine Spectator, but honestly, this is the first place I visit when looking for something new to buy. A lot of wisdom on this board…

Halcon Syrah is the only one that comes to mind. Syrah is my favorite and this stuff is middle of the road at best…if that even.

Ive had two bad bottles in a row. Im sure the CT reviews are accurate but there are some duds out there I think.

+1

When I saw this thread I thought of the exact same wine - Halcon Syrah. Didn’t even like it for the crazy low price I got it for at Bottle Barn. I just don’t get the hype on that one.

A math joke. I like it. Differentiates you from all the other posters. I’ll leave now.

Anyway, I didn’t like Fourrier either until I learned about the Fourrier shake.

http://soyouwanttobeasommelier.blogspot.com/2013/03/how-to-best-serve-young-fourrier-with.html

Nothing jumps out at me from this board, but a few from that other board including KB.

Completely agree on the 2010 Haut Tubee. I managed to get through my purchase, but only because I couldn’t stand the thought of these taking up what little storage space I have and I was determined to find a good bottle…which I failed to find. My daily drinking plonks looked like wines of the year compared to the HT.

Wish people would have emailed me if they didn’t like the 2010 Haut Tubee. I’ve not gotten any first hand reports of it being off or had any bottles that were bad myself. We routinely replace bottles people don’t like. Not that it happens often but I don’t mind doing it at all.

The 2010 is about 40% Santa Cruz Mountains Cab and 35% Santa Cruz Mountains Syrah. It’s going to be pretty tannic young, even at a $20 SRP. I should have done better with the description I guess. The 07, 08 and 09 were built differently with less cab and just a little SCM fruit so they were made to open right away.

I don’t want anyone to send anything back they don’t like, I hate dealing with Fed-Ex more than I have to, but do send me a note and we’ll either give you a credit or send something to replace it with. I do have a fair amount of 2010 Crimson Clover still that I could swap out for people.