Bill Allows Wine Retailers to Ship to Texas

Well that shouldn’t be too hard.

Or too hard for the majority of legislators to simply ignore. Michigan fought this so hard that they took it all the way to the Supreme Court, because of the money and pressure applied by the liquor industry, and despite the obvious anti-competitive nature of their laws.

Of course I applaud Tom and his efforts, and hope for the best. I just don’t have a lot of faith in power doing the right thing.

Just received this from Zachys:

Dear Texas Wine Lover,

House Bill 2291, the bill that would allow you to receive wine shipments from out-of-state wine stores, wine internet retailers and wine auction houses, had a hearing this past Monday, May 1st. The committee members heard from consumers, the National Association of Wine Retailers and the bill’s sponsor Representative Matt Rinaldi.

Committee members heard all the good reasons to turn this bill into law:

1. It gives Texans access to nearly every wine in the U.S.
  2. It breaks down the protectionist and anti-consumer barriers stopping wine shipments
  3. Protections against minors obtaining wine are in the bill
  4. The State of Texas will receive significant tax revenue
  5. In-state package stores won’t be harmed.

The Committee members also heard from industry interests that claimed direct shipping was dangerous, while ignoring that currently Texas wineries, Texas package stores and out-of-state wineries may legally ship and there have been no problems. Committee members also heard industry interests claim the ban on shipments must remain to protect jobs.

NOW IT’S CRITICAL THAT THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS HEAR FROM YOU.

If this bill is going to be passed out of committee the committee members need to hear directly from Texas wine lovers.

Please take a second and do the most effective thing in citizen lobbying: Make Calls!! Specifically, call key committee members and very respectfully tell them that you support HB 2291 and that you are calling to urge them to vote the bill out of the Licensing Committee they sit on.

Please make calls to the following committee members:

Chairman John Kuempel: (512) 463-0602
Rep. Ryan Guillen: (512) 463-0416
Rep. John Frullo: (512) 463-0676
Rep. Charlie Geren: (512) 463-0610
Rep. Ana Hernandez: (512) 463-0614
Rep. Abel Herrero: (512) 463-0462
Rep. Chris Paddie: (512) 463-0556

The opposition to your right to access the wine you want is very strong. Consumers like you, reaching out directly by phone, can balance their power and send a message.

All My Best,
Jeff

DOA guys. I’d like to think we fought the good fight.

How do we know it’s DOA?

It didn’t get “voted out” in time it had to be in the pipeline by Tuesday. According to most it was always going to be a multi year endeavor and we’re off to a great start just by it receiving a hearing.