birmingham alabama

It’s all good, thanks guys, Dave

I grew up in Montgomery and Birmingham and white sauce and chicken is the quintessential Bama BBQ.

thanks for all the info, meeting worthwhile, hotel (Highlands) quite nice, upgrade, walking distance to the restaurants, ate at Twenty Six, Highlands Bar and Grill, Bottega Grill, and Hot and Hot Fish Club, just didn’t have time nor apptetite left for the white BBQ, needed my Crestor and Nexium, Dave Holman

I’ve always been confused by the white bbq sauce issue. I grew up in Montgomery and went to undergrad in Tuscaloosa and have not once in my life encountered white bbq sauce.

PSA. Avoid Todd English Pub. Yes, it’s in my hotel. Yes, it’s open. Those are two attributes that I don’t hate. Every other aspect of the experience is miserable.

If you want the quintessential meat and three experience, I would suggest Niki’s West.
It is in a somewhat suspect area but the food is incredible. Very casual.

I have never been there but I want to check out Eagle’s near the old Acipico plant. Andrew Zimmern did a nice piece on B’ham. This place looks great for soul food.

All the high end stuff has been covered here. There are some new places opened by some guys who worked at Hot and Hot. I think a couple of them have been mentioned. I haven’t been but heard they are great. Hot and Hot, Highlands, Bottega and Chez Fon Fon are still at the very top.

Dave. It looks like you had a very nice tour of good restaurants.

Reviving this thread, as I and my family may be here beginning of Thanksgiving week. Any new places worth frequenting?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Josh

Fine dining… usual suspects

Hot and Hot
Highlands and Bottega
Chez Fon Fon

Most of the same places.

Saws BBQ is fabulous. Nikis. Satterfields.
Lots of options.

Josh…I live in Nashville but have a client in Birmingham so have been there a lot this year. Had a nice meal at Ovenbird this past week…cool spot too…corkage is $20.

This place is good! It is Chris Hastings from the Hot and Hot more casual place. If you want to have BBQ try Saws.

Thanks Adam and Don!

I am aiming to check out the Stitt’s places and might make it to Ovenbird. But need a place for Sunday night–nothing seems to be open; would love suggestions.