Bizarre Bizot

for sure, montreal has wonderful pricing on many of the speculative producers. however even so, you are probably better off with multiple bottles from his wife claire naudin vs a single bizot. they may not hit the same highs, but i find claire’s wines to be far more digestible as they never have the annoyingly drying wood tannin that is not uncommon with bizot.

1 Like

My recent experience with Bizot is the Jachees, which I’ve enjoyed when I’ve had it a few times. I do agree that the oak is always prominent to my tastes.

Since we don’t hear about this sort of restaurant service very often here, I’ll pile on the bandwagon in support of the restaurant’s reaction to the situation. If you weren’t into any more wine at that point in the meal, I think an appropriate alternative action would have been to simply upgrade your tip as a token of gratitude and move on.

Cheers,
fred

1 Like

Agree you’re being a bit hard on yourself. It sounds like the restaurant took your return in stride. If you were served food that was inedible, presumably you would return it too. And agree the restaurant will make up the loss, either by margins or by credit from their broker. Young Burgundy, especially reds from certain producers, is just a waste of time, imho. FWIW, Before Bizot went into unicorn territory, I had 6 bottles of '98 Echezeaux. The first few bottles I opened were not so great and rather unremarkable. The last 3 bottles I opened, starting at 10 yrs of age, were fantastic. One bottle in particular was one of the best red Burgs I’ve ever experienced.

One of the reasons that I keep on posting that the more you learned about burgundy wines, the more I realize I know less but the more I prefer them. Red burgundy wine is like Carmen from Spain - unpredictable. [cheers.gif]

Most likely the restaurant owner is a friend of the same importer - of the wines by Bizot and Claire Nadine in Quebec.

For the enjoyment of drinking a burgundy wine, beside, producer, producer and producer, the other key is : when to open the bottle.

This has definitely been happening in recent vintages. '17 Jachées I’d rather drink than plenty of Grands Crus Vosne from that vintage, and 15 Marsannay Clos du Roy was incredible. I only really drink them in restaurants in Burgundy, but I have a few bottles in the cellar, too. It will be interesting to see how they age compared to how the older vintages aged.

Hear! Hear! Everyone should Bizot lucky

[pile-on.gif]

2 Likes

+1 and [thumbs-up.gif] for Bouillon Bilk. I highly recommend it since I’ve had very good food & wine experiences there.

i am definitely low on experience with the most current releases. the clos du roy has always been my favorite of the village wines in the lineup; the 12 has been phenomenal in recent time. however i am not sure i would consider it to be grand cru like tho, as one could with say the pataille l’ancestrale.
considering there were only 128 bottles made of the 12 i am very curious about the type of barrel he used. any idea?

I guess it would be a feuillete!

Glad you got lots of feedback from knowledgable burgheads, but I for one would love to hear more about your trip to Montreal. The travel forum is waiting for you (someplace I haven’t been since the pandemic started)

Love Bouillon Bilk and have had terrific food and wine experiences there.
Might be one of the first places I go when the border opens back up.

Enjoy the insights on Burgundy and Bizot, as well.