Blaufrankisch anyone ?

Echo the support of Schiefer. His wines were the first Blaufrankisch I dove into, and found their spicy red fruit very appealing. Haven’t had one of the recent vintages, though.

Schiefer is really good, as is Iby, Igler and many more …

Expensive though. His single vineyard wines are 80 Euro locally (Edit: as in wineshops in Burgenland this summer). I’ve had them, but think they may be too massive for their own good.

Edit 2: I agree with Greg T (having read more of the thread); this is one of so many instances where grape material that is not made for it is subjected to the full treatment and are the worse for it. It seems to be the rule in many regions for winemakers with ambitions to fall into that trap.

I agree that some producers overdo it sometimes - and also that the price level is sometimes a bit high also here in Austria, but on the other hand the wines sell !!! (I´m no Moric-fan, but the wines are good …)

But all producers make wines on several levels, and if one doesn´t like a top-cuvee (with more or less oak) then simply buy the classic cuvee made in old large fudres or in INOX …

BTW: a producer that should really be named is Günther SCHÖNBERGER (Schoenberger) who does really wonderful work (bio-dynamic) with his vineyards in Mörbisch …
His regular BF is really good, and the KRÄFTEN and LEHMGRUBE are outstanding - and can age.
http://www.weingut-schoenberger.com

I have had Moric and Prieler with age and enjoyed them both. I sell in NJ (wholesale) the wines of Muhr-Van Der Niepoort (ex-wife of Dirk Niepoort) and I think they are good for the price (~$20 retail at the low end), but of course, I have a vested interest in liking them.

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Austria and Hungary, and it was our first experience tasting Blaufrankisch and Kekfrankos (the same grape in Hungary). Our favorite was the Pichler-Krutzler 2012 Weinberg Blaufrankisch.

By way of background, this winery was started in 2006 by the husband and wife team of Erich Krutzler and Elisabeth Pichler-Krutzler. Elisableth is the daughter of F.X. Pichler. Erich is orginally from the Burgenland, and that is the reason a Blaufrankisch found its way into the portfolio.

Marilyn

Thanks for all the responses. I did a further search on the PA web, which by the way is very accurate, under both Blaufrankisch and Lemberger. Found out there are 18 different bottling in the state and 40 + more that can be special ordered. Many are named above with the most expensive being a Moric at 29.99 plus our outrageous sales tax. Irony of Ironies was while searching through my cellar last night where I keep some light everyday drinkers I came across an 06 Moric, Don’t know why or when I bought it, but will give it a try soon. Thanks again for the thoughtful responses.

Well, you may as well also try the Blue Franc from Steele. He’s trademarked the name, which of course is simply a literal translation and the only producer he allows to use it is Shady Lane in Michigan because that’s a relative. And the Shady Lane version isn’t bad, but it lacks the vibrancy that makes a good Blaufrankish. The best is from Circa, which holds its own against those from Europe.

In Eastern Hungary, which isn’t saying a lot because it’s a relatively small country, I think they produce the best Blaufrankisch. Unfortunately, they don’t have a great deal of money. As Gerhard points out, many of those that you find are made by or in concert with some Austrian producers, and that’s understandable. Wenninger, for example has vineyards on both sides of the border and now they’re making wines from their land in Sopron which is every bit as good, and sometimes better, than that made on the other side of the border.

The wines from Szekszárd for example, are more commonly found than those from Eger and it’s a warmer region, which is reflected in the wines. Those wines were beloved of Franz Lizst. There are a few small producers there but given the current state of Hungary’s finances, they’re unfortunately kind of screwed.

so I just tasted a lot a lot a lot of really good Blaufränkisch

and hope that I might contribute to the discussion…

My fav producer is Moric and for a more elegant version Umathum. They are generally easy to find. K&L has them.
Ive bought older versions too, I.e., Umathum von Stein from 1997 and can confirm that they age pretty well.