Board darlings you don't like

LOVE blind tastings! They’re the great equalizer.

There are a few board darlings that I have tried to like/love but it’s just not happening.

I’ve had a handful of “darlings”. Half I liked, half I didn’t. No big deal…I just won’t buy them again.

My post last night was fueled by too much beer and wine so I may not have made my point clear.

I guess I have found myself buying into a new winery because of the hype, then I realize they don’t suit my palate. I have stopped buying from a few for that reason and I guess I should sell what I have left if I can find the time. There are times when someone posts about how fantastic the wines are I just want to reply that I don’t get it. I wonder how much of it is due to the board darling status and how much is due to them really liking the wine. Not points chasing but small production chasing just for the sake of having the hard to get wine.

[winner.gif]

A lot of egos to be stroked to the hand of rarity (and price).

I have thought about this and the answer is none. There are a number that I have not tried, as well as several where I have only had a few bottles, so it’s not fair to say that I like or do not like them.

But when I look at Rhys, D&R and several others where I own and drink quite a bit, I really like the wines.

There have been a few that I had and didn’t get the hype. Not that they were bad but I just didn’t get why they everyone went so gaga over them. Everybodys tastes are different though. Price plays a big part in my overall wine experience as well. If a $35 bottle from producer A shows as well as say a $75 bottle from darling producer B I will spend my money accordingly regardless of board hype.

The thread title should be “The consequences of not liking what you bought.”
It is not the darlings’ fault.

I don’t think anyone is thinking that way either. Sure would be boring if we all liked the exact same stuff.

Paul, I honestly think the percentage of folks who are just saying they like a wine to be “fashionable” is so small that it doesn’t even merit being measured/mentioned.

To me, the key factor is that we always underestimate how different our respective palates can be. Think about the differences in palate sensitivity to things like “green” flavors, Brett , acidity - hell, people even have arguments over something as basic as whether or not a wine is corked.

I like high acid and light- to medium-bodied wines. So something full throttle like a Shafer Hillside Select is literally yak-inducing to me.

Yet this wine is admired by many on the Board here, and is very expensive, so it’s not like people are just drinking it because it got great reviews/ratings - they drink it because their palate differs substantially from mine.

I recall Jeff Leve referring to Rico on the old Parker board as the “Acid Queen” because of his love of what Jeff considered to be overly acidic Barolo - just one more example of how very different our respective palates can be.

Back on topic, in a relatively small sample size (less than 10 bottles, different vintages and vineyards), I’ve yet to be impressed with a Rhys Pinot.

+1,000,000

And your little dog too!

Ah, so you bought the Patricia Green Berserkerday Cuvee special like me. I’m not complaining for the price, but with all the CT notes singing it’s praises, I still don’t get it. I’ve been opening a bottle every few months, and still nothing special (in my opinion) to report.

Could be a definitional thing, but I certainly wouldn’t call a “one-off” like the PGC cuvée a board favorite.

To me, you need multiple threads (including the obligatory mailing/offering threads) to be considered a board darling.

Loring and Kosta Browne were two great examples over on the RMP board.

Here, wines like Rhys, Bedrock - to be honest, I’m not sure there are any Oregon winemakers that get enough “AirPlay” to be called a board darling, although if there was a candidate, PGC would certainly be it.

Dan, my recollection of many of your previous posts is that you tend to be a “shock and awe” drinker like Jay Hack. Given that, I don’t find it very surprising that you don’t care for an Oregon Pinot.

Yeah, if you don’t like a wine, just say so. Darling or not. You can of course be politely dismissive or just call it crap. But please include your reasons–eg too weak, uninteresting, overoaked, only appreciated by Yaks, too acid, fruit bomb, Jay Hack would love it ( neener sorry Jay, I can’t resist) etc. In the end, everybody has different tastes so as long as we have some idea why you didn’t like it, your reaction can be helpful–maybe even interesting.

…and while a winery may not love hearing it, an honest opinion is always helpful. I make my wines the way I see fit, and while a “shock and awe” drinker isn’t my bread and butter I’m a better winemaker for hearing what they have to say.

Well, that’s a new one on me. I do like Oregon pinot noir. Haven’t had any recently, but my first was WillaKenzie followed by Shea. Looks like that spoiled me. The bulk of my cellar is California. I like the same style of wine as Jay and Mike Pobega. If that makes me shock and awe, then you’re right. Haven’t heard the term mentioned on this board. Can you expand for us.

I am not sure this is a evenly-balanced question UNTIL you decide if the wine you don’t like is actually a style/variety you usually do. Only then can this be answered. Once I ask myself this question ‘Board darlings you don’t like’, I do come up with one name only. It will stay with me.

No matter what some fake-named ass on another board thinks of me, I would always prefer to be talking about wines I do like. Nothing very Rodney King about that. Negatives have never spun my wheels.

Dan, I am not Bob but I think I can expand, even a bit. Wine drinkers are pigeon-holed. We almost all are and almost all do it. I think Bob is looking at the history of your notes and did not see many Oregon Pinots. I don’t think he meant anything negative beyond that. I could be wrong and I would never want to speak for Mr. Hughes. I think I would be an easier target myself if I did not shock and awe with a 14 year old Barolo note from time to time. :slight_smile:

Just think if I came here and panned the 2006 St. Andrea Egri Bikavér from Hungary how Greg T. would be all over me telling me that when he had dinner on Nagy Eger mountain with György Lorintz, he thought it was worthy of at least more 3 points… :slight_smile:

Holy crap! The wines form György Lörincz are board darlings?? [wow.gif]

That may in fact be international news.

BTW - I have indeed had the wine with him. Didn’t rate the early versions highly but it has really improved over the years as his vineyards and wine making have both matured.

This is the best working definition of a board darling yet and I’m going with it:

To me, you need multiple threads (including the obligatory mailing/offering threads) to be considered a board darling.

Actually, I find it best when people say why they don’t like a wine. As I mentioned, everyone’s tastes are different (I for instance don’t for “shock and awe” wines) but one thing I’ve learned about wine is that there are no absolutes–sometimes a wine you are dead certain you will hate turns out to be very good. So the more you know about a new wine, the better.