books ?

Just ordered it, thanks for the rec.

I recently enjoyed Chef’s, Drugs and Rock & Roll by Andrew Friedman. It’s an oral history of the most influential chefs / restaurants in the US.

Just ordered it used on Amazon for 8 bucks. Thank you. [thumbs-up.gif]

Perfect for a light read by the pool on a full stomach:
A short history of drunkness

A few not yet mentioned:

The Accidental Connoisseur: An Irreverent Journey Through the Wine World – Lawrence Osborne
The House of Mondavi – Julia Siler
Haut-Brion: An Illustrious Lineage – Asa Briggs (an esteemed British historian)
Bollinger – Cyril Ray (he also wrote histories of Lafite and Mouton, but I like this one best)
A Life Uncorked – Hugh Johnson (a biography through wine)

Interesting timing of this WSJ article on wine books. The Best Wine Books to Read This (and Every) Summer - WSJ

for Burgundy lover check out : Burgundy - The vineyards of the Côte d’Or written by Armando Castagno.
It’s an incredible work

This

I can very much recommend Bouquet, GB Stern (1927 re-released in 2011)

On the war, Wine & War is agreeable journalism, Christophe Lucand is proper history by one of the Burgundy’s best historians, though he had to get it out quite rapidly as soon as new papers were released. It will make you think though.

Just got Wine and War today in the mail. been on my list a little while, no time like the present!

Anyone get / read Jane Anson’s Bordeaux book yet? I saw it in another discussion and I know it’s pretty new. It looks great, but I’m trying to figure out if it’s $95 shipped great.

I preordered the Anson book, but believe they’re being shipped in the order they were purchased so haven’t received shipping confirmation yet

Thanks all for some great selections.

This just arrived. Looking forward to starting it tonight.
20200622_181431.jpg

Just received mine today. I preordered the day they went up on Sotheby’s. Impressive at first glance; will dive into it next week on vacation.

Just finished reading both of these. I personally did enjoy Arlott’s book a bit more given the pure concentration on the history of the house, though, to someone just starting to learn about Champagne, or who may struggle with long, sometimes rambling prose, Champagne Uncorked is a solid and easy read.

just finished wine and war and blue trout (found the first half kind of slow) enjoyed them both
now on a history of drunkenness and it’s quite a fun read

going to read harrison’s stuff again before summer’s gone. i wish i knew him, but that was batali’s buddy

Wechsberg is a treasure. Any of the collections of his essays is worth reading. His long-form articles on Fernanand Point, La Pyramide after Point’s death, and Alexis Lichine are also all available online to New Yorker subscribers in the magazine archives and are wonderful.

I found a used copy of the Arlott book on Amazon, so grabbed that for $12.

Finished Wine and War today…that was a terrific read. I’ve acquired a deeper appreciation for France now, especially how they had to survive and make it through WW2 at the hands of Germany. I had some perspective on the topic prior to the two Kladstup books, but now I understand it more on an emotional level. Wow.

I was a big fan of Wine and War. I’m taking a break from wine reading at the moment (reading a wonderful book on Dunkirk), but will be reading Hitler’s Vineyards per William Kelley’s recommendation above. Will be interesting to see where it aligns and diverges from the narrative that’s been hammered into my mind from all the other books covering the time period.

Ah, forgot about that one, Andrew. Just grabbed that one too, and it will sequence nicely with Wine and War. Thanks for the reminder.