Bordeaux 2023

Troplong only down ~12%….putting it at the same price as Canon (and 2x Beau sejour Becot). That’s… not great

1 Like

I suppose it is more attractive than the distinctly unattractively-priced L’Eglise Clinet, but VCC was the wine I had in mind when I jokingly thanked William Kelley above for saving me money. At the time I had thought, even with a 33% discount off the 2022 (i.e., discounted to around $240) it wouldn’t be a good buy. $240 is a lot of money to spend on a 95-ish point wine (Lisa, Jeb and Antonio are a bit higher). The 2014 is cheaper, has ten years of age, and is about of comparable quality (maybe even a little better). VCC is my largest single producer holding of my Bordeaux and I have a decent vertical going, so I’m willing to spend up to buy it, but at that price the 2023 isn’t even remotely tempting.

3 Likes

So many reasons:

1. I’ve got way too much 2019 already (half a case of VCC, 12 cases across the board)

2). I can’t easily get 2019 for the same price you can - I’m not about to start arranging my own import from BB&R - I’ve got enough on my plate from work & family & other obligations. The cheapest easily available to me in the US is 22% more expensive - and that still requires coordination to get to one of my storage facilities in SF or NY. The cheapest that I’d actively buy from is 27%.

1. Variety is the spice of life. I get way more joy out of tasting across good-to-great vintages, and even some not good ones. It’s more important to me that the wine tell a story of vintage and time and place than just be perfect in every sense.

Let’s use music as an analogy. Take an X performance that you consider perfect (let’s say a specific live performance by the Grateful Dead, Maria Callas, Radiohead, Nina Simone, pick your poison). Just because X is the gold standard that every other performance is judged, doesn’t mean you don’t want to also experience other versions. You want to explore the differences, one is a little more polished and reaches greater technical achievement, one has a flaw that is endearing or shows a glimpse of struggle, one represents a specific point in the arc of that artists career - exuberant meteoric rise into stardom or comeback after being written off. Each one tells a story, and it is so, so much more than just being about which one is best and most worth listening to.

To me, wine is not dissimilar. If you’re buying and drinking points, well, perhaps you’ve missed the point.

4 Likes

If anyone wants more 2019 Montrose or 2019 VCC, shoot me a note!

Oh no I agree, I was just curious about the specific reasoning. If you’ve got a decent parcel of 2019, then it’s perfectly fair enough, but if you have neither I know where I’d be looking!

I took a case of 23’ VCC. While tasting with Alexandre earlier this year, it became crystal clear for me why so many love their wines. This is an epiphany wine. While we did not taste the 23’, I have to believe the style will be consistently good.

1 Like

Jeff, the write up of your trip and tasting in Bordeaux, and especially VCC, has me very close to pulling the trigger on this wine.

1 Like

Yes, please. It’s interesting to understand how others see the same similarities and differences…

Cool I’ll have a pop tonight

1 Like

FWIW, Eglise Clinet has a small production, averaging 1,000 cases per vintage. Wine is the families sole business. You can’t expect a big discount from them.

It’s not inexpensive, but it’s up there in quality with all of the top Pomerols. If you like Eglise Clinet, it’s well-priced against its peers.

1 Like

Any idea Jeff of the production of VCC?

You can find all of these stats, and more on my site. Roughly, 5,000 cases, give or take, depending on the vintage.

2 Likes

I bought some previously on your advice. I will likely grab a few bottles from TW. I know just from location that wine has to be excellent.

I still vividly remember asking my wife in Paris after we were done in Bordeaux what her favorite wines were of all the Chateaux we visited.

VCC 15’
VCC 22’ barrel samples
La Gravette

She said it with no hesitation. I would highly recommend you find a bottle and try it if you haven’t just to make sure you like the style. My wife firmly favors merlot so it was a perfect stop for her.

1 Like

I’m in for 24x375, 6x750, 6x1.5 and 1x6L for VCC. Last child’s birth year and all.

Contrary to many here - for my money - I’m ok with this en primeur campaign and thankful the prices are down considering the birth year buys. To be sure, I would be going much lighter if this wasn’t a birth year but that’s more a reflection of my current stocks versus my interest in the wines at the prices being offered. I’m not going to quibble over a few dollars when I get the sizes I want with provenance.

5 Likes

Hell of a haul! Who had the 375s for sale?

Im tempted to go with VCC but will wait for montrose and see what happens

I buy through Calvert Woodley in DC. Happy to make a direct contact for you if you’re interested.

1 Like

Thanks. I am doing the majority of my BDX buying in bond this year.

1 Like

I thought all the commentary re: comparing prices to 2019 prices is comparing to current 2019 pricing, not 2019 EP pricing.