Bordeaux, Nebbiolo, Brunello suggestions

It’s not made to be an ager. That’s Nebbiolo for early consumption.

Maybe because the OP began:

I have this dilemma with affordable Barbarescos. For instance, the Vite Colte Casa in Collina 2015. I normally wouldn’t open such a young Barbaresco, but it’s under $20 so I don’t feel bad doing so. I have no idea how this would age, but I might try it with a bottle or two.

Thanks for the tip. Heavily considering going with one of these.

I have never seen a dumb phase in any Spanish wines either, but didnt know if it was just my lack of experience there.

These are 3 bottles Spanish bottles I love.
2010 Conde Neo
2006 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia
2005 Escudero Arvum

I dont own enough Ribera del Duero though. I’ve been eyeing 2016 Aalto for a few weeks and think I am going to grab a few of those. Ever had any Aalto?

Although the OP didn’t ask for Rioja, LdH referenced above does come in 375s and 750s. I think maybe only the Tondonia has 375s widely available in the US. The 2001 Tondonia had a dumb phase about five years ago. Not sure if that is specific to that vintage though.

B21 Wine has the 2006 Tondonia in all three formats, but you are paying a premium above 750. They have the 2007 Bosco as well. They have over two cases each in 750 available for sale. These are excellent wines and would seem to fit the OP’s preferences. I had the 2006 Tondonia this past weekend and about three months ago. Really solid.

What are thoughts these days on Chasse Spleen? Was always a fan of this wine but then fell off purchasing it but don’t know why. Just grabbed some 375s of the 2016 out of curiosity. Unless the estate has changed stylistically to a more modern profile, perhaps this fits the bill as well.

Edit: just checked Leve’s website, like what I read here:

Quite bright, this medium/full bodied, fresh, sharp, crisp, cassis and cranberry filled wine is made for lovers of older, classically styled Bordeaux. The wine leans to the cedar, tobacco leaf and piquant red fruit oriented side of the style range.
Read more at:> Learn about Chasse Spleen Haut Medoc Moulis, Complete Guide

Only problem with LDH is that it is released so late that I would miss so many years of changes to monitor.

Robert, have you already had the Sociando Mallet 2016 or 2017? The 2016 is substantially more expensive (50 USD). Can also get the 2014, which you seem to like but different in flavor profile I guess?

Rather than buying new wines and having to wait 20-30 years for an answer, why not buy wines of various ages and do a vertical. Chambers Street in NYC often has Italian wines going back a good ways (often Produttori) and could help you put together a couple of verticals of 4-5 wines where you can get some understanding now rather than in 20 years.

Lanessan. Recently picked up 5 bottles of 1996 Lanessan at auction, and look forward to giving them a try. Want to let the first bottle sit for a few months after it has been jostled, so I will pop the first in May. Haven’t had a Lanessan with this amount of bottle age.