Bottom Feeder Wines of the Major European Regions

The Quinta de Saes are about $10 in Europe and maybe $15 in the States. The Sobral is about $15. The Niepoort Twisted is $15 in the States, and the Casa Emma Chianti is $20 in the States.

Thanks, Eric! I’ve updated the lists.

Have you tried Jonas Dostert’s Elblings? Brilliant

Rhône - already a lot of great options on the board but St Cosme CdR is one of my faves and 100% Syrah (I think) and around $15.

Completely agree. Easy buy every year. One of our house wines. Full Pull does this one as annual offer. Had a bottle of the 2019 yesterday. Paid $12 per bottle for the 2019.

Dry Riesling - Loosen Dr L or Donnhoff $15 or Trimbach? $15 or Leitz Dragonstone $15

Dr. L is one of the best wines year in and year out for the money. In our market Donnhoff is almost twice the price.

Campo de Borja - Borsao (the entry wine, I saw it today for $8.49). Hands down the best all around value and it ages. AND this I was in my “fight against gradeflation” stage so 88 is “excellent.”

• 2002 Bodegas Borsao Campo de Borja Borsao - Spain, Aragón, Campo de Borja (2/19/2008)
    Hey! This stuff really ages. I was making beef stew tonight so this morning, after getting the other ingredients together in a pot, I pulled a bottle of 2002 Borsao and set it on the counter. At 5:00, I called my son, told him to uncork the wine, pour it into the pot, and put it in the oven. I asked him to leave a few ounces in the bottle for later. At 7:30, I uncorked the left over bottle on the counter and unceremoniously took a swig from the bottle, expecting to quench my curiosity more than my thirst. Intense and complex cherry and raspberry flavors with some pepper and spice. I poured the rest into a glass so I could write a proper note. Moderate red color but not opaque, a little like a dark ruby. Cherry on the nose. still the same palate. Tannins softened and sweet. No oak or vanilla. This is a bona fide very good to excellent wine, 88 pts without the QPR factor. I bought a case of this 4 years ago at Zachy’s on sale for $4.59 per bottle. Best bargain since the $6 Le Montrachet I got in 1978. (88 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I went through a lot of bottling when I was younger and loved it. I’d buy it thinking it was a sangria base, and it always ended up surprising to the upside. It’s a good stuff, but I don’t see it much around in my area. Although their Trio Picos bottling seems to have become ubiquitous now, and is an ok pick when traveling or what now.

Campo de Borja are excellent value, but I can’t put them in the Rioja section (or elsewhere) as we are sticking to major appellations/regions. I hope someone finds these post useful/interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I’ll get around to making offshoot threads where we can’t agree on a few different choices for one particular category eventually. I don’t want to flood the board with lots at once, too.

updated list.

Champagne - Moutard Grande Cuvee Brut NV $25

Rhone - Guigal Cotes du Rhone $10 Chave Mon Coeur $15 St Cosme CdR $15

Bordeaux - Senejac $15

Loire Red - Baudry - Les Granges $20

Loire Chenin - Marc Bredif Vouvray Classic

Loire - Sauvignon - ?

Loire - Muscadet - Pepiere Sur Lie or Jo Landron Muscadet $15

Off Dry Riesling - ?

Dry Riesling - Loosen Dr L or Donnhoff $15 or Trimbach? $15 or Leitz Dragonstone $15

Alsace Gewürztraminer - ?

Alsace - Pinot Gris - ?

Red Burgundy - Domaine des Moirots Bourgogne Rouge $20

White Burgundy - Louis Michel Chablis $20

Beaujolais - Jadot Beaujolais Villages $10

Rioja - CVNE crianza $10

Bierzo - ?

Fino/Manzanilla - Tio Pepe? Solear? La Guita? La Gitana? Lots of choices. Which is the best? $20

Chianti - Villa Antinori Toscana $? or Casa Emma $20

Langhe Nebbiolo - Produttori $15 or Vallana Campi Raudii $15 Vajra Nebbiolo Langhe $20

Aglianico - ?

Etna Rosso - Terre Nere $20 or Calabretta Cala Cala $15 or Gulfi Nerojbleo $20 Various Alcesti $10-20

Etna Bianco - Terre Nere $20

Soave - Inama $10

Dao - Quinta do Sobral Reserva both Branco and Tinto $15 or Quinta de Saes. $15

Douro - Niepoort Twisted both Branco and Tinto. $15

Santorini Assyrtiko - ?

Gruner Veltliner - Domaine Wachau $15

Well, Valdespino Inocente took the prize for the Fino/Manzanilla category.

As Donnhoff is available at $15 in some markets, I suggest that take the dry riesling crown as many comments suggest it’s better than Dr. L if it can be bought for a similar price and it can.

Same with Chave Mon Coeur

Still a few more undecided and one or two without a suggestion.

Keep ‘em comin’ [thankyou.gif]

Two Morellino di Scansanos:

• Fattoria Le Pupille
  • Terre di Talamo “Tempo”

And the Fontanafredda Gavi is a solid white.

CVNE Rioja crianza added to the list in OP.

But is Dr L dry? Last time I tried it (10 years ago) it wasn’t. Not lusciously sweet, but definitely a fair amount of RS, and certainly not Trimbach-dry

But is Dr L dry? Last time I tried it (10 years ago) it wasn’t. Not lusciously sweet, but definitely a fair amount of RS, and certainly not Trimbach-dry

Not dry but the minerality is solid for the price point

Why Villa Antinori is in the Chianti section when it even isn’t Chianti (let alone a particularly interesting Tuscan red, IMO)?

Just an FYI – Garagiste offer tonight is for 2018 Domaine Guion Bourgueil Cuvee Prestige at just under $14/per. Drinking very well now, and will get better for a number of years in the cellar. Not very common in wines under $15/bottle. As the saying goes, “… just sayin’ …”

Michael

1 Like

Sounds great. You should make a PSA. [cheers.gif]

A few updates (White Burg and Dao):

Champagne - Moutard Grande Cuvee Brut NV $25

Rhone - Chave Mon Coeur $15

Bordeaux - Senejac $15

Loire Red - Baudry - Les Granges $20

Loire Chenin - Marc Bredif Vouvray Classic

Loire - Sauvignon - ?

Loire - Muscadet - Pepiere Sur Lie or Jo Landron Muscadet $15

Off Dry Riesling - ?

Dry Riesling - Donnhoff $15

Alsace Gewürztraminer - ?

Alsace - Pinot Gris - ?

Red Burgundy - Domaine des Moirots Bourgogne Rouge $20

White Burgundy - Louis Michel Chablis $20

Beaujolais - Jadot Beaujolais Villages $10

Rioja - CVNE crianza $10

Bierzo - ?

Fino/Manzanilla - Valdespino Inocente

Chianti - Casa Emma $20

Langhe Nebbiolo - Produttori $15 or Vallana Campi Raudii $15 Vajra Nebbiolo Langhe $20

Aglianico - ?

Etna Rosso - Terre Nere $20 or Calabretta Cala Cala $15 or Gulfi Nerojbleo $20 Various Alcesti $10-20

Etna Bianco - Terre Nere $20

Soave - Inama $10

Dao red - Quinta de Saes. $15

(please note: Quinta do Sobral Reserva - not listed at all on regular Wine Searcher so I picked the other suggestions)

Douro white - Niepoort Twisted both Branco $15

Douro red - Niepoort Twisted Tinto. $15

Santorini Assyrtiko - ?

Gruner Veltliner - Domaine Wachau $15