Bourbon - Need advice

If you find GTS at $400, please ping. Good luck finding any Buffalo Trace Antique Collection on shelves at a non-crazy price.

The bottles I’m seeing on shelves once in a blue moon around here are the Blantons ($60) and the Elijah Craig 18 ($150).

In state-controlled markets, I’ve had friends either tracking the online site for inventory and driving for stuff like BIB or going in person on delivery days (Monday AM, iirc, in Alabama).

A close friend sourced a bottle of Blanton’s SFTB a few weeks ago and I agree. Didn’t think it was worth the money or effort. I love barrel proofs and was really looking forward to it, considering the rareness.

I have an unopened bottle of Blanton’s SFTB sourced from the islands, but I would imagine that there’s quite a bit of bottle variation based on the barrels.

Keep an eye on CC, I’ve bought 3 bottles of GTS for 350-375 delivered.

As a gift - I would want to give something unique… which knocks out Blantons. Blantons is overrated in my opinion… I had it head to head against EH Taylor Small batch and then single… and EHT destroyed it. Especially when you consider the price you most likely will have to pay for Blantons (ER 17 destroyed it to… but that is to be expected). But these are normal bottlings. Some ideas…

Look for the Wild Turkey Masterkeep series. The 17 yr is exceptional and about $150. Decades is nice (blend of 10 yr and 20 yr). Not crazy hard to find.
The Four Roses limited edition is getting huge press… very difficult to find.
I think good gifts are some local store barrell selects. One of a kind and interesting to taste. As with any single barrel there will be some variability.

I could go on - but look for something unique is my guess.

Had another generous pour last weekend. My friend and I liked it less than when we opened it about a month ago. Not balanced. What I love about BP’s are the richness and depth. I’ve had many higher octane BP’s, but not sure I’ve ever had one so one dimensional with alcohol. For reference, I’m not really a Blanton’s fan, but after the last pour I’d rather drink regular Blanton’s.

Could y’all recommend a bourbon that is similar in tasting profile to Rabbit Hole’s “Dareringer” PX. I don’t drink bourbon, this is for a friend who really likes this particular bottling. Budget is $50-150.

I’m not familiar with Rabbit Hole’s Dareringer, but it appears the be a finished whiskey. I would suggest Isaac Bowman Port Finished Bourbon. True, not sherry finished or a wheater, but Buffalo Trace distillate finished in port barrels and almost half the cost of the Dareringer.

Edited to include Belle Meade Sherry Cask Finish which may be a closer comp to the Dareringer and priced around $70-80.

Dale, let us know what you end up getting your friend. [cheers.gif]

Just received an email from Caskers offering 3 Rabbit Hole bottles including the Dareringer as a virtual tasting experience for $220. Seems to be a fair offer.

Also, I wanted to give my buddy, Oliver Mulligan, a plug for his RUA Sherry Cask Finish whiskey. Definitely not a wheater and aged only a few years. The basic RUA is available in several markets, but I’m not sure that the Sherry Cask Finish is available outside of NC.