Breakage Using Pulp Wine Shippers

After watching my FedEx guy unload 6 cases from his truck recently, I’m surprised I haven’t ever had any breakage. He wasn’t exactly gentle.

They can’t read on the package contains wine? Crazy!

Since switching to recyclable pulp inserts, breakage has increased about 10 fold for us.

The only broken bottle I’ve experienced out of many hundreds was shipped in pulp. Of course it just had to be my one allocated bottle of 2015 Mugneret Gibourg [head-bang.gif]

Mike,
Wow!
Which common carrier do you use? Same as prior to switching over?

I’ve been lucky, never had breakage with either.

I haven’t seen them in a while, but the best shipper I ever received was pulp, heavy, labor-intensive and apparently foolproof.

This case had push-out cardboard inserts top and bottom, so the bottle hangs literally suspended, separated by the pushouts from the top and bottom. The side walls were thick enough to be really good protection.

I’ve said this before, and am used to being greeted with derision, but I’ll say it again: I think it possible that plastic is a greater threat than global warming.

Yes, over my 40+ years in the wine business I’ve had a higher percentage of breakage in pulp than in styrofoam, but it’s still a tiny percentage and I’ll accept it.

Dan Kravitz

Never had breakage in pulp, had a few very bad experiences in stryo - boxes had been knocked around so much you could hardly read the words “CONTAINS GLASS” on the side. As the saying goes, “it’s not the car, it’s the driver.”

Never had a bottle break on Styro or pulp- but every Styro has little crumbs that get everywhere… such a pain.

I recently had a 12 pack of samples show up on my porch and when I picked it up there was a slimy clear purple substance on the bottom which I thought had to be broken wine. I opened the box outside and all the bottles (Lingua Franca) were intact and the styro was OK as well. After the box dried it was hard to tell anything had been there. On the other hand a three pack styro arrived this week and the foam had exploded in the box breaking into multiple pieces and coating bottles in ‘snow’. It had only traveled locally. I prefer cardboard and have a ready winemaker to take my styro. In 10+ years there has been zero breakage in shipping in probably 80% pulp.

+1