Burgundy's New Generation

This is an interesting approach. But of course there are quite a lot of ‘new generation’ producers who didn’t (on the whole) inherit the vines and are doing something exciting.

I’d include
Antoine Petitprez
Noe
Santini
Dandelion
Grappin
Marthe Henry Boillot
Horees

(We will sell these wines in Bordeaux because we are excited about them).

2 Likes

Her father, Michel Coutoux, is still in charge I guess but she is very much now the winemaker if my info is correct. Michel Coutoux is the son in law married to Michel Niellon’s daughter. Lucie is his daughter. He has been making the wines for several years. Not sure of the exact year Lucie became extremely involved. It was recent. I know she made the 2017s if I am correct. They are a brilliant set of wines. The 2018s are not far off. They are still that ultra pure style. Very mineral. I think they are even better than her father or grandfather.

William Kelley knows Msr. Coutoux very well I think. He might be able to tell us the exact year she really took the reins.

Raphaël Coche has some pretty big shoes to fill. Some say the wines are changing but I love his results.

Alexandre Bernier replaced Bernard Noblet at DRC a couple of years ago. The results will be followed closely for sure.

Jean-Baptiste Bouzereau at Michel Bouzereau has been making the wine for 20 years but he has transformed that Domaine into one of the very best producers.

I honestly did not realize Jeremy has been involved that long. That is part of why I think that really works so well, and why I love this conversation about Burgundy as opposed to Bordeaux or many others. Like Howard mentioned, by time the grandfather (or mother) is done teaching, it is almost the grandson (or daughters) turn to start learning! I love that.

I was so frustrated during the Inside Burgundy call with him because I was so interested to hear what his approach would be, and even the other winemakers on the call mentioned not being able to understand him! was such a shame to not get an idea of if he would merge styles or change any approaches. William, any chance you can shed any light on his approach?

do you know much about how some of the personalities and domaines mentioned thus far are approaching the transition? at addresses like Lafon, Mugneret Girbourg, Barthod, Boillot, Drouhin, etc, are the older generations planning on spending a lot of time sharing their knowledge or just handing the domaines off and traveling the world?

I’m gonna have to start doing some digging on those! thanks for the post!

Yep. A lot of people find Burgundy confusing because of all the similar names. But, this just means they are people and not banks or insurance companies. Like you, I love it. Nothing in the world like going to winery whether in Burgundy, Alsace, Bandol or wherever and getting to meet family members involved in growing the grapes and making the wines. Adds about 5 points to any wine I drink from anywhere if I have visited the winery and have been hosted by the owners. 10 points if it is from Truchot or Dublere.

I mostly agree with this. I’d only add that visits that are indifferent or worse don’t evoke that same nostalgic feeling that makes mines more enjoyable. And yes, I’ve had a few, even in Burgundy. But they are definitely the exception.

Also, I’m sad I never met Jackie Truchot. Loved his wines and I’m sure it would have been magical. I didn’t visit Burgundy until after he retired. Maybe I should have leaned on Henri Jouan to arrange a meeting. (I’m kidding, I’m not that entitled.)

speaking of Jouan, how many years has he been at the helm now? I always group him and Bertheau in the same thought for some reason.

Philippe supposedly took over in 2005. But Henri doesn’t really agree with this assessment. [snort.gif]