Buy Every Vintage of X? Why or why not?

Would if I could.

2014 whites are sensational- Ramonet in particular had a knockout year.

2010 red burgs came along at a time when I was not buying wine- and would not have gotten much anyway since the Diageo distribution was really crumbling at that point- but just last night a friend opened 2010 Roumier Chambolle AC and it was one of the finest examples of that wine I have ever had along with the 1988 and 1995. It certainly made me wish I had been buying when then 2010s came out!

Absolutely!!!

and priced accordingly. Try their new Clos du Cailleret. 14 is amazing.

I’m pretty much in this camp, though size of purchase can vary. Vintage variation is very interesting to me, especially in wines I’ve come to know well.

I like collecting single vineyard verticals because you get to see how that particular vineyard produces from year to year.

But, the deepest vertical I have and continue to build, is Cardinale, which is a blend that changes from year to year. Instead of getting a view on a particular vineyard, you’re getting a more macro view of the Napa Valley for that particular year.

I’m only interested in every vintage if I have a relationship of some sorts with the producer and grower. I feel like the support is more warranted with small producers who are not selling luxury, but a piece of their “art” every year. If the game becomes to squeeze out every last dollar in a good vintage then you’ve lost me and I’ll pick and choose without emotion.

I have no verticals except for the two I was “forced” to buy, and I am now off both lists. Even for wines I love pretty much every year, say Leoville Barton, it is very unlikely that in every vintage they make the best wine in their price range or the one I would like the best. I haven’t even been scrupulous about buying in the same regions each year, much less the same producers. I own no 2007 bdx; why would I? Very expensive for what they are, and I could buy 2008 or 2001 or any number of other vintages instead. I never really understood the vertical thing

If you only purchase the “great” vintages you may lose some pleasure.
I’ve purchased every vintage of Vieux Telegraphe since 1995. It’s currently unbroken from 2016 back to 2003 or 2001, depending upon how you view the the Telegramme that was released in 2002. But not a big deal as I don’t fret over drinking up a vintage.
The nice thing about buying every year is discovering how nice a so-called off vintage can be, like the 2008. Compared to the supposedly can’t miss 2007, I like it a lot more.

I’m very vintage sensitive. I buy more in vintages I think suit my tastes, and less in those that don’t. For example, I don’t my much Bordeaux, but I did buy a small number of 14s, no 15s, and again a small number of 16s. I bought a lot of 2013 Austria, but not much 14, and literally only a hand full of 15s. Burgundy I slimmed down considerably in 15, but am buying what I can (afford) in 16. This is largely because I have both limited budget, and limited space to store wine, so I definitely need to make adjustments each vintage.

Wes Barton wrote:
As a club member, I buy Monte Bello every year - it’s a no-brainer. The closest this question goes to that is if I buy more. Have done so with a couple particularly strong vintages, when priced right (like '05s) and under-rated personal faves (like '07), which should be drinking well younger, as '00s are now.

+1 on the Monte Bello futures. We have bought Monte Bello futures for many years. Access to tastings in Cupertino and Healdsburg make it an easy purchase, as well as the futures price. There are other wineries that I purchase from every year, such as Carlisle, Turley, etc., but I only buy certain wines and for the purpose of consuming and enjoying rather than keeping a vertical intact.

Ed

I like having many vintages of my favorite wines but I don’t feel like I need to have every vintage. I do feel that wines that age well in general can surprise in “lesser” vintages and when aged they occupy a unique space. For example, when 1987 Chave was young it probably didn’t stand out compared to many N. Rhônes, but now it is very good, very interesting and while it bears some resemblance to the bigger Chaves from the following years, it’s a lighter and prettier model that can’t easily be found.