Buyer Beware: Fake Bottles of Yellow Tail Wine Are Popping Up in the U.K..

Victor has plenty of old world classics in his cellar too.

1 Like

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

I literally have a rule that no yellow tail can enter my house. That shit is vile… The fakers are doing a disservice to consumers by making them think that yellow tail is better than it is… Unless they are selling poison of course.

This is a really interesting situation, though, and does spotlight potential issues that can arise anywhere. Let’s say a new broker or distributor, who a restaurant or wine shop has not dealt with, approaches them with a deal on Silver Oak or Cakebread or Turley - that restaurant or wine shop might be tempted to purchase it and not have any idea whether is is ‘fake’ or not.

I know we all laugh because it’s yellowtail but this may be the tip of the iceberg . . .

Cheers

Let’s say a new broker or distributor, who a restaurant or wine shop has not dealt with, approaches them with a deal on Silver Oak or Cakebread or Turley - that restaurant or wine shop might be tempted to purchase it and not have any idea whether is is ‘fake’ or not.

Nice thing in MN with that scenario is typically only one distributor would ever deal with Silver Oak and for most brands they don’t switch to other distributors that often. Beer and liquor is different as several distributors can sell the product but don’t think anyone will be making fake Bud Light anytime soon.

Maybe different in other states with multiple distributors having the ability to sell Silver Oak to shops and restaurants.

Wasn’t there a lot of fake Mouton-Cadet found in China a few years ago?

There have been some other threads with examples of cheap, mass-production wine that was faked.

yeah, it’s not a complicated process which “exposes” the lower end wines to fraud. Buy shiners and have labels printed up, done.

We Chinese are terrible.