Buying (young) DRC for Idiots

Ignore the unsolicited advice and buy what you want. I hope you and your daughter enjoy it in good health.

-Al

Bruce - I already have some futures orders in for Monte Bello and some Bordeaux. A single bottle of Haut Brion because I wouldnt otherwise buy first growth. I will likely be fairly diverse in 2014. DRC may not be something my daughter will enjoy in 20 years, but I’m willing to take that chance. It’s the thought that counts maybe.

Many of us are already painfully aware that our wine choices now may pain us, please us, underwhelm us, or overwhelm is in the future. I have had one two-ounce pour of a DRC wine in my life and no burgundies of similar acclaim. I may still decide not to purchase, I was just asking how I do, should I desire to.

Something sure : the vintage 2015 will fit perfectly for your need.

Be in touch bt PM and we may help.

Too many people are glad to impose their values on everyone else.

DRC wines are readily available at market prices. I just scanned all the comments here, maybe I missed it, but just do winesearcher.com. Plenty of listings for all vintages and vineyards at reputable retailers.

Noah, If you are a frequent buyer at a good store ask them what they may be able to get you. If not or as backup if you know when they arrive in the USA (I forget the timing) just go to winesearcher.com and those freshly released wines available there will not be fake. Will generally not be the absolute best pricing but should be available.

Post of the thread.

Ditto on both counts.

This is not a financial decision guys, it’s an emotional one. I am sure you will find the wine, and she will appreciate the thought behind the purchase.

My advice, Noah, is go to the usual safe suspects, MacArthurs, Zachys, Sherry Lehmann etc when the time comes.

Post of the thread.

+1

Wouldn’t know about that, I only bought my kids cases of RC as birth year wines… [wink.gif]

Noah, do what you want. It’s your money, as many here like to say. Never having purchased DRC in my life, I have no “ins” in how to buy some, but was really, really surprised when I saw some for sale in Syracuse, of all places (!), so it can’t be all that difficult to procure. As they say, money talks, and DRC money talks louder.

easy to find but not at release prices–check wine-searcher.com and there are dozens of sources.

Okay, but how much are you “saving” by buying prearrival? With a wine that is as expensive as this is, the savings really can’t be that significant (as a percentage of entire retail cost)?