Cab sauv for the common man

Getting back to the OP, I honestly believe that you are bound to find more ‘distinctive’ wines with other varieties at that price point, especially domestically.

This is not meant to turn into a ‘pissing match’ at all - I just find, especially below $60-70, that you will find incredibly interesting and again ‘distinctive’ wines.

Or . . . Perhaps look for cabs outside of Napa and Sonoma these days . . .

Cheers

5 Likes

Mondavi Oakville is usually pretty solid, readily available and comes in around $75ish.

I still think Bob Bressler’s line-up was great at the price point, and you can find it at auction.

1 Like

What about cabs out of Santa Cruz Mountains? Calling @Dan_Kravitz

2 Likes

This. Enfield cab is one of my favorites.

Di Costanzo also makes a great entry level cab - Di Co.

4 Likes

Curious for thoughts on Scherrer

3 Likes

Yeah it’s not wonderful. Bottle Barn here in Santa Rosa periodically gets in Yalumba’s Cigar and Menzies and prices them well. Wine.com has been reliable for Leeuwin Art Series Cab and Penley cabs. A bottle of 2012 Cape Mentelle Wilyabrup went for $24 on WineBid last week. I don’t generally seek them out, rather jumping when I see them.

1 Like

Have you tried the Maitre de Chai cab?

4 Likes

Why is your heart set on liking cabs?

5 Likes

Bordeaux and South Africa, both have incredible value cabs.

3 Likes

Leeuwin Art Series.

6 Likes

I have a few Beta’s but haven’t opened them yet so I don’t know that reference point.

When we have parties at our house our usual “house Cab” is Charles Krug - the bottles of the regular Napa Valley Cab can be had in the mid $30’s with pretty good distribution and everyone always likes it.

In a more classic style, you can try Calluna which is in Sonoma/Chalk Hill. Their estate Cab is $75, but if you join their club I think it’s 20% off or something so well below $70.

If you want something a bit more modern but still not over the top on BD I would assume you could find some Jean Edward’s wine in that price range (usually $90 bottle)

If you want something bigger- Caterwaul Wines are made by TRB and should cost $60-$65/bottle

Lastly - Elyse has their general Napa Valley blend which I think was around $60 for the 2019 bottle and its a quality blend from a few AVA’s made by Russell Bevan and if you join their club its a 20% discount and at that point a steal. You can also find it online and in some local stores.

4 Likes

Have you used the search function? Cuz this has been covered at least annually if not more often.

My recommendation would be JB Neufeld. Great cabs, affordable, and great people. They usually have a Berserker Day offer. Ymmv.

6 Likes

Jean Edwards
Smith Madrone
Scherrer

All solid cabs at very good price points

3 Likes

Thanks to Larry Schaffer for the nod to me about Santa Cruz Mountain Cabernets. Unfortunately there are not many of them, $50 would be a low starting point for price and they usually need really extended bottle age to show at their best. Ridge Estate is priced at about half their famous Monte Bello and drinks well young. Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard ‘Lucchese’ is another good bet.

I agree with the reccos for Louis Martini, especially the Napa bottling. A lot of the other reccos are for wines closer to $100 than $50 and also, IMO, wines that need significant bottle age.

Nobody has mentioned Argentina. Remove the Malbec mindset and look for producers like Trapiche (the single vineyard terroir wines, not the entry level), Catena Zapata, Susana Balbo, Norton Perdriel… you can make a long list and try a lot of wines, hopefully with some bottle age, within the budget.

Dan Kravitz

6 Likes

Try some Bordeaux! I saw a bottle for around $16 near tge checkout stand at Discovery wines. Theyonly sell organic wines so I decided in the name of science to buy it and it was a solid bottle. Check out the selection at Astor. As others have said here Bordeaux is the best red value in the wine world and its fun to explore sub regions, producers, blends, vintages etc

I feel like OP should just accept that Cabernet Sauvignon likely doesn’t match his taste preference, and that’s totally fine! So many great wines of the world out there for a lot less money.

Now, If the goal is to find a cab that works…because a spouse loves it, or whatever the case is…I’d suggest trying something stylistically very different. Corison comes to mind, but it’s nearly double the price (but worth it). Bordeaux is probabl the logical place to look and Meyney is a good place to start to meet the budget requirement. Find some bottles with 6+ years of age for a better experience with Bordeaux.

Ecluse has a very good cabernet and bordeaux blend at very reasonable prices.

1 Like

I am mostly aligned with your sentiments on Napa Cab, but Canard and Paradigm have always stood out.

I’m in the Bordeaux camp but also suggest that you check out Sandar & Hem Bates Ranch (Santa Cruz). They’ve had generous offers the past few Berserker Days.

3 Likes

at the price point you are seeking, if wanting to stay domestic i would explore more WA state. I’m a big fan and the QPR is usually off the charts.

5 Likes