Calabrian peppers - my new obsession

I put Calabrian peppers in everything - whether you use more or less determines the heat. With pasta, shrimp dishes, scallops, risotto, in eggs, the possibilities are endless.

There’s the wet blend and the dry blend. I use the dry blend just as much if not more than the wet blend. And there’s some dry blends that are more just the seeds and others fine and still some that are a blend of the two. You need a different one for each level of heat.

In Calabria, there are a wide variety of every kind from whole peppers to bombas. It’s pepper heaven.
6AC8FB01-9BF7-4CAE-8095-28DEC80881CB.jpeg

You might like some of the chilis traditionally used in various styles of mole, and don’t rule out smoked chilis for big flavor without heat.

We use lots and lots of the Vietnamese version made by the same folks who are famous for Sriracha, usually with garlic but they also make it without. Interested in trying this with the Italian accent.

My family no longer tolerates them…but if you see dried Dundicutt peppers they are worth trying for those who like spicy Indian food. They have a different kind of flavor than typical Asian peppers in my view.

To me it’s like the difference between Scotch Bonnet and supermarket Jalapeno. The Jalapeno sold here - a hot region - are so wan that I just chop the ends off, halve them and stuff them with cream cheese, after a few min in a toaster oven.

The last two Fresno’s I had - only one of them would have been acceptable to my kinsmen.

1 Like

Todd, have you managed to try the TJ’s version yet? Curious to know what you think.

Mark,

If you’re heat averse, I would also suggest tasting everything you use before you cook with it. I once grabbed some dried poblanos on the suggestion they weren’t overly hot and used waaay too much in my recipe. pepsi

Calabrian chiles are great on a Frank Pepe style clam pizza or acciughe (anchovy) pizza! For this I like the whole peppers, chopped and added into a little more olive oil.

Thanks for bumping this. Bought a bottle yesterday at TJs. First thing my wife did was blend goat cheese with cream cheese and the peppers to make a dip. Guests LOVED it.

1 Like

Our local Chinese has jalapeño stuffed with shrimp with heat ranging from very mild to unbearable. I have learned to try a little; my wife uses me as a Guinea pig as she will only eat the mild.

Aleppo and Piment D’Espelette are my go-to ingredients for this, but the Calabrian peppers have a pretty good flavor to heat ratio as well. I used the whole ones and usually cut them in half lengthwise, scraped out the seeds, and then cut them into very fine strips. I almost never use the seeds and ribs of fresh peppers like jalapeños either, as it just adds heat with less flavor.

1 Like

@ToddFrench are you familiar with 'Nduja?

Thanks to BerserkerDay I am now - bought some last BD