Shafer Red Shoulder Ranch

more votes for: flirtysmile
– Ramey
– Liquid Farm

Would be votes if not for under $50 requirement: neener
– Littorai
– Ceritas
– Mt. Eden

Forgot to add, under the radar and intriguing, Smith Madrone’s estate grown Chardonnay from old vines circa 1979.

As good as ever, and I’ll and Ojai to the mix. What’s more, several of these are $25-35.

I’ll see your Ojai Chardonnay (terrific QPR) and raise you a Wind Gap Chardonnay.

Oh! How could I have forgotten to add Arnot Roberts my the list? Both the Watson and Trout Gulch are amazing!

Cheers,
Warren

+1 [cheers.gif] I know the wine glass should have white in it

Another vote for Ridge Estate as on sale I have seen as low as $40.

Ceritas and Rhys, although I am not sure if Rhys meets the 50.00 price limit.

Copain

Ceritas certainly doesn’t but is worth the extra coin IMO.

I rarely drink Chardonnay so take this with a grain of salt, but when I do it’s Peter Michael.

As the advice for what you should buy for last weekend continues to pour in, how did it go?

Agree!
Never had a bad bottle.
Way over the $$$ limit.

Having visited Ramey last week, I’ll cast another vote for their wines. The basic '14 RRV chardonnay is excellent and good value ($40 MSRP). The '14 Westside Farms (the inaugural vintage for this new estate property) and the '14 Hyde Vineyard were a notch up – really outstanding – and good value, relatively speaking, at $65 each MSRP.

Seems like most replies have answered this question: What are your favorite California Chardonnays? But that ignores Paul’s statement that he likes “rich and flavorful” and his points of reference, Newton and MacCrostie.

In the “bigger but sorta balanced” school, I’d suggest Liquid Farm, Shafer, Walter Hansel, Brewer Clifton, and those types of wines. The Mount Eden grouping is a different school entirely, ditto Ceritas, Arnot Roberts, and many others mentioned.

True, but like I said once or twice a year it’s Peter Michael.

Another vote for Au Bon Climat SB County (I enjoyed both '13 and '15)