California Merlot

One of my go to Merlots here in Napa!. Love this wine.

Switchback is my favorite. I’ve served it blind to experienced tasters and they didn’t even identify it as a merlot

Without question, the most old world style merlot made in the new.
Ages beautifully, too.
Best, Jim

Well, how can I resist. Being a Right-Bank Bordeaux kinda girl…

ARIETTA H-Block. Franc/merlot in varying proportions by vintage, grown in Carneros perfect for right-bank varietals to develop complexity over a nice long hangtime and retain acidity in a temperate climate. (I had a 2001 H-Block with Christmas dinner last year, just stunning depth, complexity and minerality–what I’m looking for) which wine I would actually purchase for pure pleasure, and I’m berserk for good Merlot and Franc, but not well-heeled enough to purchase frequently for that reason.

PRIDE - can’t go wrong with either the merlot or the Franc - both outstanding and outstanding value from their high elevation and great soils, and very good people, cannot say enough nice about their winemaker who I once begged for an internship and how kind and responsive she was to me.

EHLER’S - someone else posted, good suggestion, I haven’t had the merlot, but loved the Franc, it’s simply the soils there according to their kind and humble winemaker, who trained at PETRUS

I was turned on to Paloma by a customer of mine who stopped in to pick up a few bottles there on a recent trip, also a Berserker, and I’m afraid I was stunningly disappointed; the comment above that “it won’t be confused for a RightBank Bordeaux” was putting it mildly. With caveat that the bottle I tasted was a 2010 on an enomatic at Whole Foods, and who knows for how long, it was all alcohol and wood, lacking fruit and depth. Yet ridiculously slippery smooth, like a bourbon… Since I like the rather hedonistic fruit on my 2010 (what’s currently on most retail shelves, and it’s slightly more Merlot than Franc, I was dying to try the Paloma). Normally, I’m seeking more restraint, but the end of 2010 was HOT, even in Carneros, and that’s that.

Because Santa Claus is coming sooner than I can believe, and I’ve kept this secret for so long, I’ll share buried here for those still reading, that my 2012 Barrel Select which is rich chocolatey chewy, only 13.9% alcohol, 100% Carneros, 94WE, is also 100% Merlot. Bottled from a single barrel, unfiltered. Hope the word doesn’t get out as there’s only maybe ten cases left :slight_smile:

Looking forward to your TN’s on your choices.

I’ve liked Paloma and Beringer’s Bancroft Ranch in the past. And was pleasantly surprised by an older Mondavi base Napa merlot bottling last year, but that was a one off.

Nowadays I think C-H’s Lots 444 and 468 taste like mini modern St Emilions personally. They’re meritage blends, heavy on the merlot.

California is an expensive place to go hunting for merlot, it seems.

1997 Chateau Montelena Merlot. have about 6 bottles left. Aged gracefully, great wine. Only made in 1997.

I always thought Matanzas had the best Merlot vineyard over in Bennett Valley. I was horrified when KJ ripped it out and planted Chard. But then Jess planted the high mountainside to Merlot. I have yet to try the results but plan to do so soon.

Is that the Jackson Park version?

If it is any help, Parker says the '12 Kapcsandy Roberta’s Reserve is " about as great as Napa Merlot can be".

That is a wine with a rich burn.

Calluna is the only Merlot that I cellar and drink regularly. To my taste, Calluna is the best merlot currently produced in California. However, I have had a few vintages Barnett melot that were quite good as well.

Did anybody mention Farella?? Good and well-priced.

Looking at Washington state for Merlot is a good idea. Too many good examples exist to name just one.
Prices are fair.

Yes, maybe not released yet?

I recently had a 2004 Paloma Merlot and it knocked my socks off.

Rombauer Chardonnay is supposed to do something like that. pileon

I am going to check out this Merlot from Calluna. Several folks that I know love this.

Barnett merlot that were quite good as well.

My favorite Cali Merlot of all time was the 05 vintage. Drank the last one a few years ago.

Don- you may have to join the club for at least one shipment but it’s worth it.
Try the BDX blend Estate wine and if possible Colonel’s vineyard cab. Spot on for what your looking for in the thread you started. 2 folks(i was 1) from the board tasted at Calluna this past Friday and tagged an older thread with an update.

They havae them on their site. I’m going to track one down

Switchback Ridge has always been a great go-to Merlot in our house. Love the fact that you can buy it in 375ml’s. Someone else earlier mentioned that it doesn’t come across as a “merlot” wine. I couldn’t agree more. Most friends who have it for the first time almost aways guess Cab.