California wine most like Latour?

Definitely the same style. The only issue is one would be the maturity level of a '96 Latour.

It’s interesting to note more Eisele is sold in France than the U.S.

1991 Dominus to me does that very iron fist in velvet glove thing that Latour does, while the 1994 is perhaps a tad riper and more clearly new world. Both years would be excellent choices IMO :slight_smile:

Bob Travers’ examples of Mayacamas cabernet are the most Latour-like of any California wines that I have tasted. They will have a different aromatic and flavor profile than Latour, but very similar structures. Ridge Monte Bello is far more La Mission Haut-Brion-like IME, particularly after both wines have 20+ years of bottle age. Old school Montelenas will not be quite as powerful as Latour structurally and will probably be easier to spot as “the ringer”. One can still find Mayacamas from the second half of the 1980s and 1990s out there for pretty fair prices (especially comparing to Latour) and it would be a fun addition to your tasting.

I have not tasted the Eiseles under Latour but the Araujos were nothing like them. Certainly not to my taste and seriously disappointing after the great wines made by Phelps. Incidentally I have tasted Ridge Eisele 1971 twice next to the MonteBello 1971, and both times far preferred the Monte Bello, which was more classic. Eisele was rich and interesting, and the table was split both times.

Ridge Monebello would definitely have the finesse to blend in. Some find it’s American Oak to stand out, I don’t really. I actually find it to have higher acid than most Bordeaux so that may stand out.

Similarly, I might expect Dunn Howell Mountain to have a bit too much acid, being a mountain site. Otherwise it might fit in, if perhaps being a touch inkier than some Bordeaux.

I’ve poured old Diamond Creek blind in a Bordeuax tasting and it did stand out as being darker and more monolithic than Bordeuax.

I’d expect Dominus 1991, 1992 or 1994 to blend in well and be confused with Bordeaux

I poured a 1984 Montelena Estate Cab in a Bordeaux tasting and it was confused by many for a Margaux.

I’d also expect older cabs from Spottswoode or Arrowood to potentially blend in based on my experiences with them.

Mayacamas or Montelena (esp. 1991 Montelena)

Montelena before 2005 or so (and watch out for the dodgy TCA vintages), Chappellet before 2003, Dominus before 2008.

Dominus for sure !

This is fascinating. Thanks very much John.

What about a Mondavi Reserve? (I think a good amount of this comes from the MacDonald’s parcel in To Kalon).

Hi Robert,

I drink older Mondavi Reserves with a bit of frequency and like them very much, but stylistically, I find them very much Californian in their aromatic signature. The old ones (prior to 1986, they were all pretty much cut in the same style) are very elegant wines for mid-Valley Napa cabernets, but with a very attractive streak of dried eucalyptus and petroleum jelly notes (to go along with dried cherries, cigar ash and lovely soil tones) that makes them stand out as old Cali cabs to my palate. There is also a gentle “weediness” to them that I like very much when they are mature (as opposed to vegetal tones) that I also think is very much part of their signatures from this era. Certainly the riper, plusher 1987 was the first step in trying to move Mondavi Reserve cabernet away from this signature style that had served it so well since its inaugural vintage (was that maybe 1970?) up through 1986, and as the years went by, the newer wines seemed to be from a different planet from those classics of the 1970s and 1980s.

Agree Dominus but older vintage!

Good suggestions above. Two others worth considering if in your cellar are Phelps Backus or Quilceda Creek (WA , not CA but new world). Enjoy! The '82 Latour remains the best wine I have ever tasted. Hope they have one in the lineup!

And it just so happens that K&L has three on auction with only one bid ending tomorrow, so you’d be in luck if you go that route…

Thanks very much John. I try to drink the older ones as well. When you can get one that was stored properly they can be great.

Good point - few, if any, of the others mentioned have the graphite character so prominent in Bordeaux