Calistoga wineries

Peter Michael isn’t open to the public, but they do offer private tastings to previous buyers from mailing list. I visited a few years ago and really enjoyed the experience. They drove us to the top of the mountain to view their vineyards, and held the tasting at their main building at the base. They’re setup more as of a working winery/residence.

We had a great meal at SolBar last year. Excellent food and service.

Hi John, thanks for your comment about some of the difficulties in sourcing well-stored vintage bottles. At WineBid, folks may not know that we have a very rigorous inspection process and strive hard to review and document provenance, storage, authenticity and quality of every bottle that comes through our auction. I’m sorry if you had a bad bottle or bad experience, and hope that you contacted customer service about it. Any reported issues are always thoroughly investigated, back to the source. We value the WineBerserker community and feedback! Feel free to PM me as well.

Echoing a few:

Mending Wall (ask for Amy, she’s awesome)
Larkmead is no brainer
Vincent Arroyo (great Petite Sirah as well as olive oils & vinegars!)

Oh my, Farmstead at Long Meadow Ranch. I am tempted to hop in my car and drive the 7 hours up there right now- I could get there juuuuust in time for dinner…

At my current one. neener

[winner.gif]

Solbar at Solage Resort is my go to restaurant - usually 1 or 2 times a week - as it is just under a mile from my place. There were some ups and downs through some chef changes, but it appears it is all settling into a good place. There is nothing close to it for quality and service and ambiance in Calistoga. What I like a lot about it is there is always tasty food being served, from 7:00 a.m. to closing (not sure when that is). The menu changes throughout the day, but there is always a menu. Everyone has opinions on food and wine and vacations. What one person loves another does not. I do not frequent Sam’s Club…just doesn’t do it for me.

That’s great to hear SolBar can be good, because I’d love to walk to dinner while staying there. The meal I had there last summer was objectively bad. Not possible a person could love at least several of the courses we were served.

Solbar redid their menu and if has improved a lot. Definitely my go to restaurant in Calistoga. Try the lucky pig and thank me later

for the right price. forced donation, $100 pp i think.

My wife and I stopped at CM last year, I was really excited as I liked their older wines that I have had. Agree with DB, standard tasting and we dumped most of the reds. Of course we almost never drink a Cali Cab younger than 10 years these days, so as stated it really depends on where your palate is at.

We loved the personal experience at Venge, as well as the wines, which had a bit more personality to them than CM. The porch overlooking the property is really nice as well.

Someone mentioned Café Sarafornia for breakfast. You can smell the grease as you walk by the storefront.

I’ll recommend Solbar again, and yes, big time for breakfast. My favorite is a tortilla with chorizo, salsa, sour cream, fried egg on top…I forget what else…I get it about once or twice a month. But there are fresh berries, crabmeat and avocado, lots of stuff. My opinion - go there.

Although I’m not a big breakfast guy, we stayed at Solage again last week and gave Solbar another try for dinner. And it was excellent! Obviously they were having a chef transition or something last summer when we had a dog of a dinner there.

This time everything was stellar, from blue crab, to a gnocchi/lobster dish, to a duck entree, to a fascinating dish they called the Carolina Rice Bowl, which was teeming with seasonal vegetables. Now mind you, this was a $36 plate that would more appropriately have been in the mid $20s, but sitting outside on a perfect Napa evening with excellent service made such an up charge a nonissue. Thankfully we brought our wine as the wine list is a bit scary!

The food at the pool was also excellent, highlighted by a wonderful little gem salad.

So I stand corrected; superb food is coming out of that kitchen. As it should. What a fabulous property.

Our second night we ate at Lovina on the main drag. It was wonderful. Cute little outdoor patio, very good food, and they have no corkage on Thursdays. Recommended.

I am so glad you enjoyed it. I was probably there! I had passed along some comments from “colleagues” (you - not by name) and they were very concerned. Next time if it is still on the menu try the agnolotti or the beef tartare. And anyone who goes there at any time should get the fish tacos…trust me on this one.

I was just going to say! They kind of put Calistoga on the map.

I did get the fish tacos which are also offered poolside. They were awesome. Breading the fish in a fish taco is a risky proposition, IMO, but they nailed it.

I believe Rivers-Marie was building a winery/tasting room in Calistoga. Did it open yet? If not, anyone know the status?

Well, Mr. Sequi is the best one to answer, but since I have been past the site just recently, I can say it is in the building process. Over near T-Vine on route 29.

I heard from a good source or two this afternoon that The All Season’s restaurant in downtown Calistoga is serving excellent food. A bit hard for me to believe, but for certain I will check it out soon.