Can a corked wine still be used in a marinade?

I used corked wine for sauces several times but don´t do it anymore. My results were not convincing. I use wines without or little wood influence for cooking. The sauce will be better.

Boiling point 284 degrees F.

So, depending on what you are doing, it may work, or it may stick around.

_

New Saran Wrap is not the same as vintage Saran Wrap, so our old corked trick doesn’t work as well. There was a person who marketed a “co-polymer” device to remove TCA but now I can’t find it to try to link. It looked like some of those fake grapes you used to see on people’s coffee tables.

I thought someone had posted here previously that the boiling point of TCA was lower than water, but as Anton points out it’s actually higher, which I would think means that it won’t cook off all that quickly in a sauce. I would say return the bottle or pour it down the drain.

I don’t use corked wine for anything, but have seen the claim that it binds with fat in sauces more than it boils away. Note that the alcohol in wine doesn’t boil out very quickly when cooking, and the boiling point is lower than for water.

-Al

I have heard the same thing about fat rendering TCA.

Don’t we all have several of those bottles various people have given us that we (while appreciative of the gesture of course) don’t actually want to drink?

Or the 5 ounces left in last night’s bottle?

Those are prefect for your marinades, no need to gamble on corked wine.

The rule I’ve always gone by is, “if you don’t want to drink it, you don’t want to cook with it.”

How about heating up the corked wine, let it cool, and taste it again? If the corked flavor is gone and it tastes pretty good, use it in the marinade.

Cheers,

Hal

The boiling point of 2-4-6 trichloroanisole is 140C, so it is not going to easily boil off. I’ve heard that fat ties up TCA, effectively neutralizing it, but that may not happen if you marinate a steak and then grill it. I wouldn’t take the risk, and I wouldn’t want an open container of corked wine sitting around the kitchen or refrigerator.

in my experience, the TCA taint returns when the Saranwrap is removed

i have cooked with corked wine, always bringing it to boil,
without negative results, but would never use it in a marinade

I hadn’t performed this parlor trick in awhile and did not know they’d change the formula…

I agree.

I use faulted wines as the liquid in my smoker.

My rule is if you won’t drink it don’t cook with it. It is painful but dump it out.