Canelés

alan - thank you for fixing the accent mark.

made coconut canelés this week using coconut milk and some coconut extract in place of some of the whole milk. Very good but I should have used a little more coconut. A first!

that sounds like a fun experiment. Now I’m thinking about using sweetened condensed milk for a dulce de leche twist.

I have planned orange (Grand Marnier instead of rum, lemon zest), chocolate, more coconut, and a couple others in my future.

One that has passed if the halls at Lafayette are any judge. Very few to be seen unlike eclairs and macaroons.

Pierre Herme.
Baillardran.
Gerard Mulot.

I’m not sure what that list is meant to prove. The Hermes concession didn’t have any on display. I’m not trying to say they are no longer for sale but there were 50 eclairs on show for every Canale. L’eclair de Genie seem the current trend.

Not meant to prove anything. Just a few artisanal confectioners who make very good caneles. If Lafayette doesn’t sell them in its food court, still easy to find at Paul, Le Bon Marche, Kayser and other bakers around Paris.

Absolutely. My point was just related to the ‘fad’ comment.

I’m a fan. I adore them.

Well, we’re missing the point, aren’t we? Sarah brilliantly pre-mocked David with that comment.

Exactly. Though it was a reference to his previous dismissal of caneles as just a fad (see the NYC baked goods thread).

The idea that it’s required to stop eating something and start mocking it once it becomes popular makes pretty much zero sense to me.

I remember a NY Times reviewer (don’t recall which one) complaining incessantly when he saw a molten chocolate cake on the menu. “It’s too popular, people should stop making it!” Personally I think it’s entered into the pantheon of classic desserts and like so many such desserts there are good renditions and horrible renditions. Whereas canelés have been in that pantheon for ages.

It’s even better. She was making a forward reference to his dismissive post in this thread! That’s the brilliance.

and he didn’t even notice and posted anyway

Ah. I missed that. Carry on!

I am sorry but it’s cannelés and it’s bordelais not french.

"The modern name “canelé” is of recent origin. The Guide Gourmand de la France[3] does not mention it. Only in 1985 when the Brotherhood of the Canelé of Bordeaux (Confrerie du Canelé du Bordeaux)[4] was created was the second “n” of its name removed. The name canelé became a collective brand,[5][6] registered with the National Institute of Industrial Property of France by the Brotherhood. Ten years after the registration of the brand, there were at least 800 manufacturers in Aquitaine and 600 in the Gironde. "

Canele de Bordeaux is a good site. From the first sentence, “The canelé de Bordeaux (a.k.a cannelé bordelais) is a magical bakery confection, a cake with a rich custardy interior enclosed by a thin caramelized shell. It’s a brilliant construction developed long ago by an anonymous Bordeaux cook, whose innovation has been subjected to 300 years of refinements.” Bordeaux is still in France, right?

Thanks, headed to Dallas in a month for Family Weekend and will definitely make a trip. champagne.gif

please remember to tell me what you think of them.

Village baking company is the best, I am obsessed with their caneles - so good. All of their pastries are highly recommended.