Canlis for dinner this evening.........

The night I dined there must have been “another time”.

Yeah the last two times there I’ve felt they’ve been in a down phase. Plus, they didn’t have any of the bottles I had chosen on-line off the list. (they didn’t know this until they had spent 10 or more minutes in the cellar looking for them. nonetheless, hope we were just unlucky x2 and that you’ll have a great meal.) If you are really attracted to a bottle, you may want to call ahead and be sure they actually have it.

I’ve eaten there three times, had wondrous experiences every time… most recently last spring, posted on some good glasses.

Being cheap, I’ve decided that in great restaurants with great, expensive lists, I’m often better off buying their glass pours, especially if they are as good as at Canlis. They had 2006 Lopez de Heredia Tondonia Reserva for $24, more than fair imo, it was discussed in another thread. I love doing this, then we return to the hotel where a great bottle of red awaits to cap off the evening. I’ve heard that Canlis is not always ‘on’. They have been on all of my visits, and on those occasions I’m more interested in the food than the wine.

Dan Kravitz

Apparently Andy suffered amnesia after dining at Canlis and has forgotten to report back!

Disclaimer: I know these peeps…

In my experience the best way to do Canlis is By the glass, often times Nelson will have stuff that’s he just decided to pull and pour that aren’t listed as btg, just ask…

Also, if you ask, Nelson and crew are great at guiding you in the right direction, if you show passion about wine, they’ll hook you up…

My personal favorite is sitting in the bar with James and mingling with Nelson, Elton and Crew as they make their way thru the restaurant. It’s the best bar in WA that people seem scared to hang out at, no jacket needed, and parking is easy. Few small plates, glass of wine or 2 or a half bottle, it’s just a great place, period, and James is one of the best cocktail minds in WA.

[quote=

Apparently Andy suffered amnesia after dining at Canlis and has forgotten to report back!
[/quote]

I apparently did!

Overall a good experience. Service was stellar.

We started with the ‘09 Domaine du Collier, which was absolutely incredible. It was somehow both rich and bright, definitely my highlight of the night. Nice compliment to the Japanese egg custard with matsutake mushroom and geoduck, which was also my favorite dish of the evening.

For the protein courses we had a 2011 Cappellano Pie Ruestris Barolo and a 2009 Domaine du Pavillon Corton Clos Des Maréchaudes GC.

The Cappellano was typical Nebbiolo on the nose but the wine seemed a little tired, which really surprised me. I would guess te,perature damage vs a flaw, but still a relatively enjoyable wine.

By the time I got to the Burg it had already been a looooong day and we were several bottles in. It did not leave much impression.

The balance of the courses were good, but nothing blew me away. Thanks again to everyone for your recommendations.