Can't believe how spoiled I've become...

This would be tough for me too. Like Alan, I can’t sleep on planes. Not in 1st or bus with lie-flat seats. Just can’t. So I am slightly inclined to stay in business and keep my plans. But I suppose if I am going to be awake, the extra room and comfort in 1st would be even more useful. A quandary.

Sarah, think of it this way; if you stay in business class, the savings would mean you are getting the 2* dinner for free. champagne.gif

I would dine at the 2* and take the business class seats.

-Al

Interesting responses - people unsurprisingly have different priorities and strong feelings when it comes to these questions.

I made the problem go away by changing my departure city to Boston, where I’ll be for business the day before anyway. Two seats available in First, no problem. It’s a late night flight, which is uncomfortable in some ways, but is the best flight for beating jet lag, in my opinion.

It was a fun process to consider my options here, knowing I’d be fine no matter what. In the end, I would not have given up the day or my dinner (it’s not just 2*, but somewhere special to us) for the better flight. That said, the step up to First is a HUGE plus for me, well worth the extra miles. It goes from being a perfectly comfortable and pleasant flight, to being a fun and special flight. I actually look forward to that part of the trip, now, instead of thinking my vacation begins once we touch down. Unlike Jay, I really like free Krug. :slight_smile:

Well played.

I am fortunate to be able to sleep anyway, anyhow, anytime. On flights to Paris, my wife spends eight hours totally awake, watching me sleep. So, upon arrival, I am fresh, and she is exhausted. That ability must be a remnant of my familial history at illegal immigration, in tight quarters on long and slow boat trips.

Well done! The extra information on the restaurant definitely would have swung it to flying business for me but I’m glad you were able to manage both.

I’ve been known to dump free Krug, trying to do it when no one is looking. But lots of my friends love the stuff.

TANSTAAFK. Just sayin’.

-Al

Jay - to be fair, we would have been able to schedule the restaurant for another time, as we have a long-standing relationship there, but it’s better not to have to juggle things around when plans are already in place.

If you don’t like the Krug style, no reason to drink it. I used to hate champagne in general, and would refuse pours of even the best stuff, while everyone gasped in horror. My wallet wishes that were still the case!

Gotta play the points game. It’s clear Sarah is using her miles to redeem the award not actually paying for the airfare.

In four years with your own business you can easily accumulate enough points for a round trip first class flight to Asia with hotel stays

Oh Lord, yes - I can’t afford first class tickets. This is all points. We aren’t using points for hotels this time for two reasons – we need to maintain status (automatic upgrades are very nice) and upgrades aren’t usually available when you book with points. We’re all Intercontinental Group, so that means the Intercon Kowloon in HK, where JR is a VIP. The harbor view suites are to die for, and it’s totally worth it to pay for the room, and get the upgrade. Other places, we do the math on what makes more sense. If the rate isn’t high (like in Saigon) we pay for the room, get the points and take the upgrade. In Tokyo, where rates are usually high, we’ll generally use points.

Playing the points game helps a ton with the largest cost component of vacations. But there are other expenses, like meals and taking time time off work. I realize not everyone can afford to take trips like these, even with points taken into account. I am very lucky indeed.

I personally can sleep fairly well and is the MAIN reason for me to be upfront with a flat bed, gives me a jumpstart on jet lag. I always try to book flights around dinner time when heading east and earlier in day when heading west (these are mostly for Euro trips). Quick dinner, movie and get 6-7 hours sleep. Coming back I typically stay up but enjoy the extra room in business and/or first if I am lucky.

Since I do typically sleep on flight, bus class is all I need - but it sure is fun to be all the way up front if you can. Its gotten to the point where I won’t make the trip if I have to sit in the back on anything over 5 hours.

Headed to Aust/NZ in January and could not use miles for flight so snagged 2 tickets in business on Fiji Air flying through Fiji for half what Quantas/Air NZ and others wanted. Still spent way too much $ but I too am spoiled rotten.

Have fun!

I lived it and loved it for 10+ years. Although there are other factors 9/11 really changed that lifestyle.

Travel sucks now.

Biz on Cathay is sweet. Up top on a 747-400 is like flying on a G5. Your own planet.

if you got alaska miles or spg miles fiji is only 110k points round trip biz from US to AZ/NZ!

Sadly, they no longer fly 747s long haul, at least not from the US. The new configuration is nice, but not the same.

20 years ago, if you had asked me about my interests and hobbies, I would have said “travel to new places.” Now I will say “being in new places,” as the travel portion has become a chore. Being up front can make it somewhat less so to varying degrees, but the “getting there” portion of every trip is something I largely dread, not look forward to – a necessary evil. I am so very happy that travel for work is comparatively rare these days.

Yes, things have changed a lot and our quality of experience has suffered. With TSA Pre Check, Global Entry, Airline/Hotel Status, lots of miles, lounge access and knowing the tricks of the trade, it can be better, but for most of us, the “getting there” part is a necessary evil.

I just saw this thread and I’m glad you worked out a solution that got you there the same day and get to fly F! I didn’t want to get off the plane when we flew Cathay in first…

You know Neal, the greatest benefit to the credit card/miles/points game is exactly the things Sarah is referring to. Having lounge access, etc. has really made the travel experience much, much easier and much less of a chore. It requires some effort to figure out how to best navigate the system, but if you like travel, the time and effort is very much worth it.

Stop it. We have to keep this close to the vest. [wink.gif]

As someone mentioned above, the vacation experience starts when you enter the lounge at your departure airport. My wife makes fun of me for researching the best club at the various airports alliances around the world. I know some people that will club hop to see for themselves. [whistle.gif]

My goal is to spend as little time in any airport as possible – even in the nicest lounges. I try my hardest to avoid connections and get to the airport as close to departure time as I safely can