Cantemerle 05 and Du Tertre 06

Ha ha! I knew it! I remember well the kerfuffle on Ebob when the 05s came out EP. It was weird. The prices were higher than ever before, so a lot of people, myself included I admit, were a bit miffed. Instead of at least commiserating, RMP cut a Nero-like figure, happily fanning the flames of speculation, aided and abetted by a self-appointed acolyte and “expert”, who had the gall to post his own list of must-have wines with the warning that we had all better buy now, before the prices spiraled higher. Although subsequent vintages have indeed “achieved” higher prices along with their often higher alcohol levels, 2005 EP didn’t look quite such a good buy after the 2008 crisis. Quelle surprise.
Anyway, amid all the hot air at the time, your comment resonated like a rare voice of reason, which is why I remembered it. So cheers and well done!

Quite agree about 2002 - another underrated and misunderstood vintage.

Same exact experience, Brian. I tried that wine, and instantly said 2014 was the bomb, and exactly what I have been looking for in a Bordeaux vintage. I imagine that 1985 Bordeauxs tasted similar at release and 85 is a vintage that I really love a lot as well.

My string of B+ 2002s (Pape Clement, being a surprise standout) unfortunately ended last night with a very disappointing and hollow Leoville Poyferre. C+ at best. Ah, well.

Yes, sadly LP was not a winner in 02, unlike Léoville Barton, which is odd. I felt the same way about Lynch Bages, but they’re exceptions to the rule.

I had the 2000 Cantemerle this evening. Just a lovely Claret. Clearly Left bank. Clearly understated. Still young but in its beginning window. No rush at all. 90 points.