Capsules: Does anyone really mind going topless?

Agree with others above. No capsule, definitely no wax, put logo on ends of corks.

I understand the tradition, but not worth the hassle when producers get away from them, and definitely not worth the new terms.

-Al

+1 I think there is another thread for stupid things done with wine. I’ve cut myself multiple times removing capsules in haste. I do think capsules are probably preferred in a retail setting by more “average joe” consumers, but I would be happy to see them go. Consider a distinctive way to show the vintage that also identifies you as the producer.

See, I think this was the original reason for using a capsule, as it kept vermin away from the prized juice (apparently they like to imbide too).
Now, however, it is mostly aesthetics that rue the day: if the bottle looks pretty and high class, it can sell for more or simply sell more quantity.
I really don’t think you need one. How expensive are those suckers anyway? I am sure most people do not recycle them so that is just another item that needs to be extracted from the earth and returned to it via a landfill. Very wasteful use of resources.

I forgot to mention this but Al alluded to it: you need a way to distinguish your estate from others in a rack and you can do this with a capsule, but if it is on the cork itself, problem solved. Who here has not instantly spotted the crying Bize baby with the radient black & white rays poking from his head, or the friendly little bee on Chateau de Fieuzal’s capsule?

While you’re at it +1 for switching to screw cap, or if not at something like DIAM.

Let us sell all of our foil cutters first.

I don’t see a necessity for a capsule. A middle fix might be wax, either dipped or just deposited on the cork. I assume the manufacturers are in need of funds to run their business because of the pandemic. If enough wineries, who also need funds for the same reason, go without capsules, capsules could the way of the rotary phone. I’m also sure somebody will come up with a unique and suitable alternative adding one more choice.

I do not need a capsule. No wax please. Please include wine. Thanks for all of the great wines you have included in the bottles for many years.

Capsules have been dead to me since they dropped lead us an ingredient. Joking, but I think in the UK temperance societies used to collect the capsules for the metal.

No capsule. No wax.

Being able to see the cork is a big plus for several reasons.

1. You can tell if there’s been any seepage by looking that the top edges.
  2. You can see if the cork is pulling in one piece by looking at the side as you use the corkscrew, and can remove the worm if you see the cork cracking and switch to an Ah-So before completely snapping the cork in two, or it crumbles.
  3. Checking for mold or other dirt on the top of the cork isn’t possible with a capsule.

Capsules used to be made of lead, but that’s no longer an issue.

We have not used capsules for a decade. I believe 2009 was the last vintage where we used them. We used high quality, custom made stuff that was very pliable and expensive. I’m not bothering to look it up but I believe we would order 2 years worth at a time (saved $ by quantity ordered) and I believe they ran around 33 cents apiece. We would be ordering 200,000 just for a single vintage now and likely more for different bottlings with different capsules. Let’s say 250,000/year (for just one vintage now) and that the price is unchanged (I literally have no idea). That’s over $80,000/year for something that people basically throw away without a thought.

No thanks.

Caps are a fun, ritualistic part of opening a bottle, but hardly necessary.

Just yesterday, I was thinking of starting a post regarding just how much a hate wax caps. I don’t find anything cool or fancy about them. They are just a messy inconvenience. I’ve thought that for decades. Winemakers: PLEASE STOP USING THEM. [swearing.gif]

It took a while to warm up to screw tops. Now much prefer and the wife cannot pull a cork because of wrist weakness. I can store on a shelf and read the labels. [thumbs-up.gif]
Wax sucks!

I agree with everything my friend Tom said here.

I ditched capsules a while back when I read about the environmental impact of tin mining (it’s possible tin mining isn’t so bad in some areas, but in others, it’s the equivalent of strip mining)…I haven’t had any issues or push back since.

The ‘wax’ Raveneau (and other producers with similar wax) uses is a mix of wax and shellac…the latter adding to the crispy and hard to remove quality. Long enough ago, this wasn’t an uncommon approach…I think because it was esp good at keeping bugs out of the corks. Anyways, that’s my understanding (which you might have already known?).

Fred (and Carole), seems like an easy enough decision. No capsules are needed and definitely, no wax!

+2 for vintage and +1,000 for no wax.

Ditto. The only time wax is remotely helpful is when you get a discount on wines because the wax capsule is partially broken. [snort.gif]

Personally I prefer no capsule. Then a capsule and wax is my least favorite. I use a pungo 90% of the time and those wax capsule have to be scraped clean off the top of the cork before needle insertion. Assume anyone who uses a coravin is in the same boat. For those who use a corkscrew to open, yeah blasting right thru the wax seal is the best best but it is still messy for what is likely zero benefit.

No capsule and no wax. I do not like the wax on Anthill’s pinots. Screwtops would be great.