Cash gift of $500.00, what would you buy?

That’s way out of my normal price range for a single bottle (or even a few), so I’m not very well versed in the options. That said, if it was specifically designated for me to choose some wine: I’d probably go for 1-3 anniversary year (2001) bottles we wouldn’t probably get to try otherwise. Off the top of my head, a single bottle of Haut Brion or Grange could be fun and both seem to be in the ballpark, but I might prefer to go for something like a Ridge Monte Bello plus a Tondonia Gran Reserva or something like a Montrose. Or maybe some high-quality Barolo/Barbaresco.

2 Likes

Two of each:
Dunn 2017 or Pichon Lalande 2018???

18 palmer

2 Likes

2008 Giuseppi Rinaldi Brunate is on my bucket list.

1 Like

Mid 80-90’s red rock terrace

Never forget when Haskell’s in MN had good closeout deals. Got the 01 Montrose for $45 a bottle so I would buy 11 of those!

Quintarelli

3 cases of summer white wine from de Negoce

Maybe '95 Haut Brion. Maybe '00 LLC. Maybe add a little bit of your own money to the pile and go for '82 PLL or '96 Haut Brion.

Or a bangin’ right bank, maybe from '98. Trotanoy or VCC or Magdelaine or whatnot.

I’m laughing at all the disparate recs here. You already know what wine(s) you’d love to have in your cellar, or want to try now, that are more than you would normally spend. Buy those [cheers.gif]

Magnum of ‘09 Cristal to save for an anniversary

1 Like

One bottle of 2015 Drouhin or Faiveley Amoureuses

(Or a case of Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr kabinett… [cheers.gif] )

Respectively, WHERE can one find a 100 year-old Madiera for ‘just’ $500?

I am old enough to remember when Pichon Lalande 1982 futures were offered for $110 a case. So I will take four cases of that, and a bottle each of 1982 Latour and Lafite😀

1 Like

2 bottles of La Jota Cabernet Sauvignon 1992 11th Anniversary Release. One of the greatest achievements of the greatest winemaker ( of all times) in her prime
Sometimes to be hunted on Winebid

Should have saved my paper route money and had my parents buy wine instead of spend it on toys I would not play with a year later! [cheers.gif]

I have a singular bottle of both 05 Montrose and 01 Yquem that I haven’t tried yet. Your post just made me giddy about trying them!

Well this has been entertaining, went with two bottles of 2009 Pichon Lalande for $489.00 in total.

Thank you all for playing along.

I’d try something from the Rayas family; Rayas, Pignan, Fonsalette, even Chateau desTours. It will change your view of what is possible with red wine.