Caymus cries foul

I’m no fan of Caymus or Wagner, but the question is one of fairness and logic. This affects far more than Caymus, but many, many wineries throughout California. The rules should be created to protect health,. Does it really make a difference whether one consumes food or not? I can’t see a reason for the distinction. You can create an environment that is not a “bar” for a wine tasting session.

And trust me, I have no political leanings supporting Wagner. But as a small business owner, I sympathize with having to follow rules and regulations that are inconsistent. I realize it is not easy – I work with Public Health departments across the State – but that doesn’t mean business owners should lie down and ignore illogical orders.

I don’t disagree, was just clarifying that tasting rooms can’t actually do “tastings” in California at this time, only the wine service with food.

Cris, those are all valid points and well taken. I’d just add that winery tasting rooms typically have plenty of outdoor space and would typically be easily adaptable to social distancing requirements.

Matt,

Tasting rooms are now allowed to offer tastings in SB County as of this afternoon. And SLO County has already been offering tastings as of last weekend - and this does not seem to jive with what the ABC has been saying, but so be it.

I have no problem with Catmus filing this, as this is an issue that the majority of regional wine associations are fighting as well.

I understand that they want social distancing and do not want ‘bar hopping’, but wineries are capable of doing that without forcing consumers to purchase ‘bonafide meals’ at each stop.

Could I offer food if i wanted to jump through the right hoops to ‘do it right’? Sure - but I am not a restaurant and really have no interest in doing so.

Cheers.

Yeah. Sure. Tasting rooms can do stuff. But they also do that stuff 2-4 weeks from now.

This pouting about food service getting in and them now sounds childish to me. It’s like some kid complaining their sibling got candy when they didn’t. Except we are talking about a pandemic which seems to get lost in the details…somehow.

Newsom is illogical

The problem with this is not really whether or not the rule is fair. It’s that it makes him sound whiny. Literally everyone in the world is dealing with rules that may or may not always make sense, but it’s because no one making them is an expert and even the experts are all over the board. Caymus is not special compared to the thousands of other businesses around the country or millions around the world that are struggling to find the right way to open.

Our office stopped doing cataract surgery with the pandemic because it’s considered elective. But an office down the street that does injections for macular degeneration stayed open and continued just about as normal. They’re both eye procedures that overall present little life and death type of risk. But we didn’t sue the academy of ophthalmology for telling us that one is ok and not the other. There’s examples of it in just about every aspect of everyday life right now. It’s annoying to everyone else suffering for the greater good when one person decides that they’re the ones being treated unfairly.

I’m surprised that no one has brought up the absurdity of this lawsuit and how Newsom is being negatively impacted by this too…???

https://www.plumpjack.com/team

For real?

Caymus also has that pretty odious past with respect to their violations of Use Permits. In 2013 Caymus settled a lawsuit brought by the county of Napa alleging that they were producing more wine in Rutherford than their permitting allowed. They were caught bottling over 800,000 cases of wine - under a permit that allowed 42,000 cases. I have absolutely no sympathy for people that do not play buy the rules when everyone else does.

Anyone check on Plumpjack or Cade recently?

Typical, virtue signaling. I do’t think people really get it yet. This virus in NOT going away, unless we get a really effective vaccine. All these public measures are just designed to slow it down. How many businesses do we kill vs how many people may get exposed? That is why this is never going to get resolved as a debate. we can stay indoors all we want and the virus will still be circulating…

Matt,
Before I got my cataract surgery I was a dangerous driver so I would not call cataract surgery electable.
Of course, I am still a dangerous driver but for different reasons.

If it’s worth doing… [cheers.gif]

+1

It’s the way the argument is framed in the suit, as an egregious Constitutional violation.

IN SF doctors can begin receiving patients in their offices beginning June 15.

I just read an article about the Caymus case and see that the Napa Winery definition ordinance is in Chuck’s way, not just the state.

I wish folks would focus on this as well. Caymus can be seen as ‘taking the lead’ here - but there are lots of others pushing for the same thing.

And I don’t believe tasting rooms should be categorized as ‘bars’ but heck, perhaps I’m too close to the situation [wow.gif] It is a ‘challenging’ situation and no one wants to see us move backwards as a region or country. Period. But I do believe that IF we are being allowed to reopen, it should not be with the requirement of food service. And if that means that tasting rooms and wineries are not allowed to open up until Stage 3, then so be it.

I don’t think Newsom is a tyrant, he’s trying to keep a very volatile situation under control. I think Wagner is doing exactly what he should be doing if he feels the restrictions aren’t fair. He’s exercising his citizens rights for rules that he thinks are unfair to his business. And while I don’t agree with the armed protesters at State Capitals, I think their actions are mostly to create division, they are also exercising their rights.

The problem with outdoor tasting at Napa wineries is that the county requires a separate permit to taste outside. At least that’s what they told us at Heitz in 2018 after the sale. They were going to have to wait for several months to see if they original Heitz permit could convey to the new owners. Its insane.

Caymus has outdoor tastings. What’s the difference between them bringing out a cheeseburger to the patio or glasses of wine?