cayuse 2012 Cailloux

Cayuse wines can be super funky. I’ve found huge bottle variation in wines that I purchased on release and have stored in a wine storage facility since. In one case, a bottle of a Cailloux (I forget the vintage) was so flawed that I dumped it down the drain. A bottle of the same wine only a couple of months later was enjoyable. I usually find some level of brettanomyces, but it’s often low enough that it doesn’t bother me, and I am easily bothered by that. There’s also something else there, though. It was blogged about and discussed years ago.

Within two days, we had the results, posted online and emailed to us. Then we had a follow-up call with a representative at ETS to discuss the results. The evidence was clear. The Cayuse was a flawed wine. It had volatile acidity slightly above the normal sensory threshold but at a level a massive Syrah can support, but the worst result from the chemistry panel was that it had a high pH level, which made it more susceptible to bacterial attack. The most damning result, however, came from the sulfides panel. Published literature and ETS studies say that low levels of dimethyl sulfide can contribute roundness, fruitiness, or complexity; however, at levels greater than 50 ug/L, it may contribute vegetative, cooked cabbage, or sulfide smells to wines. According to the ETS representative, this wine had the highest dimethyl sulfide level he had ever seen (312 ug/L), more than 10 times the normal sensory threshold (17-25 ug/L), which accounts for the canned corn, rotten vegetables, and decomposed greens flavors. And, those dimethyl sulfide levels and resulting unpleasant sensory characteristics will only increase with wine age, according to ETS.

This is based on only one bottle, and the authors are FAR from experts here, but it doesn’t surprise me, and I think it’s worth noting.

These are wines that generally have extremely high pH, and the winemaker is pretty hands-off, so he doesn’t acidify (which could give SO2 some effective antimicrobial properties, which it basically doesn’t have with such high pH), from what I have read. Bottling wines unfiltered with extremely high pH is a recipe for all kinds of things to happen after bottling. So, in addition to possible sulfur compounds, there could be any number of microbial issues, and I’ve seen a couple of different ones in various bottles that I’ve had.

I’ve held on to most of the Cayuse I purchased over several years, because the good bottles can be absolutely great to me. However, I’ve had drain dumpers and lots of conditions in between that and the great bottles, so to me, it’s kind of a crapshoot whenever I open one.

One important point related to all of this: regarding these causes of “funk”, aging will not help. If anything, things get worse. Aged Cayuse can be beautiful, though.

There are a lot of stories like that about him. I’ve heard some pretty offensive stuff firsthand.

Even wine critics, who almost never specifically say brettanomyces, have pointed it out in these wines.

Camaspelo has a rich texture but its high level of brettanomyces puts me off. 83 points, non-blind, if you like gamy wines.

Are we entirely sure the funk is brett though?

To me, the “funkiest” examples of Cayuse smell far less of manure/bandaids and more like vegetal sewer funk…aromatically closer to reduction than brett (now that I’m thinking about it).

I usually get some level of both, and they are quite different from one another. My point is that several different things cause the funk, and they happen in the winery.

So funk does not equal brett? I have read a few articles that claim The Rocks is very Cote Rotie-like and they equate the similarity to brett. I have very little experience with Cote Rotie, so I’m not qualified to comment, but the discussion of bret only seems to come up when it’s about Northern Rhone’s or The Rocks.

As far as K Vintners goes, I think they do offer good value, especially MCK. My favorite of theirs is the 2012 Cattle King. Outstanding and $70. My problem is that K Vintners can’t ship to Ohio and very little of their stuff comes into Ohio through regular channels. I had to buy my bottles of Cattle King at the tasting room in Walla Walla.

You referenced a decade old blog post? That literally has no bearing here.

Tom

It seemed relevant when I saw “overwhelming funk”, and especially “stewed vegetables”. I guess I wasn’t aware that facts have an expiration date. I also have had many of these wines and found those characteristics. Thank goodness you were here to set me straight, though. Internet crusader to the rescue.

Well yeah, obviously brett & reduction are different…which is why I’m mentioning lol. And you know, I used to think the Cayuse “funk” was caused at the winery but unless other wineries are emulating Baron’s winemaking in every single way, we now have enough examples of wines from the same region possessing similar characteristics that I’ve evolved away from this mindset, or at least to some extent.

Charles was bright enough 7-8 years ago to cast admiring eyes towards my wife but not allow his vocal cords to engage.

I’ll decant a 12 Cailloux at lunch today to go with dinner. Love having not to fret about wine and after a great 96 Baron last night it’s good to go in another direction.

IMHO, there’s virtually no similarity between classic WW rocks aromatics and brett. No way they could be confused based on sampling many WW syrahs, CdPs (moderate to heavy brett) and really stinky/dirty/this-is-liquid-cheese Italian wines (love Italy, not bashing Italy as a whole!). I acknowledge possibility of bottle variation in Cayuse but haven’t sampled enough to notice it (would like to hear more about any bottles gone bad) and this may make sense if Cristophe practices minimal intervention.

Tried two vintages of MCK and greatly exceeded my expectations. Good deal if you like the style.

I think that’s fair, although I disagree to an extent. I’ve tasted other wines from the area, and while there can be some similar notes, I have never found any to be as funky or in quite the same way as a lot (not all) of bottles of Cayuse have come across to me. The brett and sulfur compounds are sometimes pretty unmistakable in the Cayuse, and I don’t get those specific aromas in other wines from there.

In the comments section, Sean Sullivan who covers Washington for the Wine Enthusiast, did a good job of pointing out all the flaws in the blog post. You, however, are still welcome to use a defunct wine blog named Wine Peeps to support your assertion. If it is on the internet it must be true.

Tom

Mark - we all liked the wine though two of us felt it was in a mildly awkward, adolescent phase. I thought it was a touch reticent despite 3 hours in a decanter.

Nothing remotely stewed.

I’ve had quite a bit of Cayuse and have never had a bottle where I thought Brett and I actively avoid it as I’m pretty sensitive. Surprised to hear some have had that experience.