Cellar Insurance

That itself should be a claims-paying ability concern.

FWIW I got AIG insurance via a broker and they didn’t push me to add anything else. So it definitely can be done

Chubb just turned down my efforts to request them. Apparently my house isn’t “worth enough” to make it worth their while…

Wow. This seems consistent with how insurers have tightened their risk appetites, amid the pandemic and low interest rates.
My Northwestern Mutual agent told me that my obtaining a Long-Term Care policy last year was fortunate.

I’m curious about these guys as well. They came in at $0.58 per 100, which is quite a bit lower than my AIG policy. USAA member also.

USAA has stated that my wine is covered as part of the personal property coverage on my homeowner’s policy. I just have to make sure the amount of coverage is sufficient. I did have a policy with American Collectors Insurance, through USAA, for my '63 TR3B for a number of years, but I never had any claims experience with them.

Interesting. I was told the exact opposite, but this was years ago, leading to my AIG policy. I recall them saying wine was covered as a “perishable” and I would be limited to 10% of my policy or something. This was in another state before moving to Texas and I haven’t addressed it with them since.

EDIT:Thinking about this further I might have actually been on a renters policy rather than home owner’s at the time.

I fully insured with Chubb on a stand-alone policy at 42 BP per year, and the process was painless. PM me if you are in the DC/MD area and want the office I did it with.

I mean it’s probably overkill but it’s great for peace of mind, it would suck to see 20 years of collecting vanish overnight, even if the chance is small. Plus you can drop any insurance charges for off site storage (I never trusted those anyway)

Chubb. I’ve had a major claim with them and they said their valuation of the ruined cellar in one of my homes was 40% higher than what CellarTracker valued it at. I accepted their valuation and didn’t complain. :joy:

I previously had a stand-alone policy with AIG placed through an insurance brokerage called Bridgepoint Risk Management:

Angela Cotton
Personal Account Executive
BridgePoint Risk Management
567-402-4279
acotton@bridgepointrm.com
bridgepointrm.com
1440 Arrowhead Drive Maumee, OH 43537

I changed my homeowners insurer to Nationwide, who offer coverage for wine, so I discontinued the AIG policy. However, I found the terms and pricing of the insurance, as well as the service from Bridgepoint, to be good when I had it.

I have the same policy from State Farm but have never had a reason to use it so far.

USAA told me they wouldn’t cover my wine even in a rider.

We just moved our collection offsite which is why we started thinking about this. I’ll have to check with USAA if we move it back at any point. The premium estimate was about $0.57/$100 on American Collector. Will try some other quotes and see where it goes. Not planning to change homeowners so if that’s a requirement then i’ll pass.

I need to look into this as well and have USAA. Some links:

https://www.wine-searcher.com/insurance

As I recall, most US storage companies require you to have your own insurance.

CHUBB,CHUBB,CHUBB,CHUBB,CHUBB,CHUBB

TTT