Chablis--Under the radar producers?

I completely agree with even “over the radar” producers being a good value. I think I was more looking for producers I had not tried yet and could seek out while in France next summer, and maybe some I could convince my wineshop to carry.

I really appreciate all the input guys–there are a lot of producers I have yet to try and I am making a list. [cheers.gif]

I’ve seen lots of threads talking about which 1er vineyards in Cotes du Nuits/Cotes du Beaune deserve GC rank, and MdT fits that bill in Chablis for me. As Jeremy states, most bottles I’ve tried are killer QPRs.

So Jeremy - Do you still feel Fevre is a good buy with their track record on premox? When I discovered them with the '02 vintage I bought about a case worth. My premox rate on the Clos is about 50% (4 btls). The MdT was the great value from this vintage and all bottles have been great. The Vaudesir has been good but not great.

Not sure Jeremy is the right person to ask that…since his premox rate from Fevre is quite low. Jeremy’s experience does seem to argue that post-bottling conditions play a significant role in premox (but we’ve been down that road before).

Fevre said they’ve focused on premox and made changes to help address it…diam, new/better bottling equipment/procedure, picking earlier to retain better acidity (earlier picking started in 07 or 08 I believe). I’ve never read this specifically, but I’m assuming they are more carefully monitoring the dissolved oxygen levels in barrels during elevage. Presumably this will help help, but by how much?

I guess time will tell Eric. Good luck this harvest.

Opened a Montee de Tonnerre recently from Moreau-Naudet that was very good (08); would buy from them again now.
Christian Moreau’s AOC has been good for me, too; have cellared but not yet tasted his 1ers or GCs. Alan Uchrinscko, an under-the-radar Chablis scholar, has written that this house has the best holdings in Valmur (which, he contends, is the best Yonne terroir).
Jean Claude-Bessin’s 2005’s AOC was tremendous with a few years’ age; he’s lauded by Hugh Johnson, though you never read about him otherwise. I have some of his Valmur cellared that is too young to drink.

Agreed! I don’t know that L-M is off anyone’s radar screens but the wines rarely get sung their deserved praise.

• on that. Really enjoyed the '10 VV bottling. Very reasonalble pricing.
    I’d say the same for the Pattes Loup village wine as well.

I found the 09 MT from here a little too sharp. Maybe it’s all the Calif chardonnay I’ve had before finding these wines,

The only moreau-naudet i’ve tasted was a recent bottle of the 2002 forets–a very lovely wine. I’m definitely inclined to try more premiers; they’re pretty reasonably priced to boot.

Elliot

As have been previously mentioned, Moreau-Naudet and Pattes Loop.

+1

Funny, about 2/3s of my 1er is Montee de Tonnerre. I just picked up a pile of 2010 Picq Vosgros, though, because of reputation and favorable pricing.

Where, and what price? I like the Vogros, although prefer the Vaucopin.
Thanks,
Warren

Domaine des Malandes is excellent, and gets very little attention. Prices are pretty reasonable, and style is pretty classic (not as steely as Louis Michel but certainly no new oak or anything).

PM’d you.

Would Defaix still be considered under the radar?

If so - then Defaix!

Peter, although my experience is limited to a few 08s, I would agree with your thoughts on Domaine des Malandes. The '08 Vau de Vey 1er cru was excellent with great minerality, acidity and cut.

I would also pile on with those who mentioned Droin…killer Chablis at very reasonable prices.

+1

Any views on Romain Bouchard, by the way? He also makes a Vau de Vey. I tried one once: was good, but I thought there was a bit of oak in it.