Champagne: Blanc de blanc vs Blanc de noir

Yeah, I’m thinking the same thing Jim.

Re Pinot Muenier, I’ve had few that were 100% and not that pleased with them. One that may not be typical was some “older” Merics {Daniel Ginsberg} from the 80s and 90s that had what I called more oxidative like notes with stone fruit character with caramel and butterscotch and a super rich, heavy texture. Not my preference for bubbly. Some other 100%ers that were younger were less so, but still not that appealing. I just strayed away from any PMs for at least 2-3 years, so I can’t speak for any newer releases.

This is exactly what I tell people when they ask me what my “favourite type of wine is”. I always say that it’s the variety of wine available (varietals, blends, terroirs, vintage/ages, winemaking styles, etc.), and the ability to try to find a wine that best matches my food, mood, the company, and the situation, that makes wine enjoyable. Increasingly, I conclude that my “mood at the time”, as in what I happen to feel a craving for, may actually be as important, or more important, than even the food I’m having, although the food certainly influences my decision and in some cases exercises “veto power” over some options. In any event, if I had a “favourite”, wine would be rather boring…I would just drink that wine all the time (and it would quickly lost its status as my favourite). And if there were only one wine available I would have no interest in wine (regardless of what wine it was).

As we age, we realize the stupidity of the idea of a “favourite color”. For some reason that doesn’t seem to sink in with a lot of people when it comes to food, wine, etc…

As we discuss different blend percentages and corresponding flavors I recalled this from the champagne aging thread. I loved it, saved it, and think it’s on point here.

One fine wine flight I recall was Egly-Ouriet VV de Vrigny (BdN Meunier) against a Selosse BdB and a Bolly VVF (apologies in advance for all my “cool guy” acronyms). The Egly-Ouriet was outclassed, but it wasn’t totally ridiculous in the flight.

To your point, I think lower acid red grape Champagnes tend to show unintentional oxidation “younger,” which is pretty Babylon why more extensively aged examples don’t exist.

Chardonnay does a lot of work in Champagne, IMHO.

I`VE GOT SO MUCH TO LEARN {including how to get a colored font into my remarks} AND THE DESIRE TO DO SO

This is the motto of the never ending wine journey, right? I know 10x more than I did 5 years ago. I know 1/10th of what I will. And I seem to know 1/100th of what others know. Time to keep reading, drinking, and enjoying the endlessly enjoyable journey of wine.

+everything

So much of the joy of this passion and hobby.

With a pot of fondue to ring in the New Year (plus baby creamers, broccoli, toasted bread chunks, cornichons etc.) we had another of these NV Gloria Ferrer’s Blanc de Noir. They’re ok, and as noted, seem a touch sweet to us. Still with the rich blend of cheeses (I use Emmentaler/Gruyere/garden variety Swiss) and everything else, we needed a drink to cut the oily texture and bubbly worked even better than something crisp.
IMG_20210101_194115.jpg

This is pretty close for me as well. I don’t feel BdN is one dimensional but 90% of what I buy is BdB for the reasons stated. And my producers of choice for Champagne match up pretty closely. I would add Suenen, Pierre Moncuit, and Lilbert(for BdB). And also Bereche and Lallement for blends of PN and Chardonnay.

I have not tried any from Suenen yet but thanks for the reminder, need to fix that. Many people whose opinion I respect have praised the wines. Pierre Moncuit is yet to impress me on any level though as the wines seem to lack certain intensity, purity and class that my favorite BdB producers’ wines often possess. Whether fair or not I tried their Les Chétillons-based wine ‘Nicole Moncuit’ side-by-side with Pierre Péters’s version and PP just crushed it - there really was no comparison. It’s been years since my last Moncuit though so maybe there has been some development ever since. Lilbert is something I would really like to try but the distribution in central Europe is very poor - I suppose they export quite a large percentage to the US? Bereche I absolutely love, just bought 2016 Les Beaux Regards and Rive Gauche.

I’m more of a BdB person. Want to explore more producers from the Côte de Blancs in particular over the next few years.

The Pierre Moncuit bottling that I enjoyed was the Davos. I had it from three different disgorgements, and it was excellent all three times. Very much in line with the other producers, but it’s the only bottlibg that I have had.

Davos or Delos? [cheers.gif]

I love the minerality of BdB from Mesnil sur Oger, while I like the power a BdN can bring to the table from other areas. Overall, my preference is for BdB.

I favor Blanc de blanc, in general. But I like both.

Having said that, my go-to favorite is Gosset Celebris, a blend of about 65% chardonnay and 35% pinot noir!

I’m generally more into BdN Champagne, especially from 100% Meunier!
One I really enjoyed was Champagne Salmon 100% Meunier NV.

I prefer a vinous Champagne that can be enjoyed through a meal and paired with stronger food, like poultry.
The wines have more body, presence and structure to me.

Doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy a refreshing BdB from time to time! :wink: