Champagne glasses

I’m leaning towards buying some Spiegelau white wine glasses for Champagne. Not into the flutes and it just seems to have a better bouquet coming out of a slightly larger bowl.

My #1 glass is a Riedel Vinum Bordeaux stem
#2- Riedel chardonnay stem
##- for special occasions where tradition outweighs all other considerations, I use a Riedel Sommelier champagne flute.

Those are attractive glasses, Howard; I really don’t need anymore glassware, but I’m tempted. The price for a six-pack of the machine-made version is certainly doable.

Another vote for Zalto white wine glasses…borders on obsessive.

Howard, I was recently given a pair of the “Jamesse Prestige” mouth-blown glasses, and I like them. Compared to most Champagne glasses, a greater surface area is exposed to air, but I think the narrowing opening focuses the aromas more than a white Burg glass does.

I was also recently given a pair of Zalto Denk’Art Champagne glasses that I like, a lot, and my previous standard was the Schott Zwiesel 1872 Enoteca Champagne glass. I have yet to do a methodical comparison to see which of the three glasses might be best for different styles of Champagne.

But to return to your original question, at $12 for the machine-made, I think they’re worth a try.

Zalto Universal!!!

All of my flutes are gathering dust; I pull them out rarely and for family only as they like the formality of using flutes. I use a Zalto Universal for all champagnes I pour at home and before that a Riedel white wine glass. They work great and you don’t have to fill them up frequently. It all boils down to personal preference though.