Champagne in Stems Other Than Flutes

I use Universals or Riedel white wine stems.

You don’t taste or smell bubbles. They do look pretty though… Big glass all the way.

George

For tasting, I also use a chardonnay glass or my Zalto Universal. For social gatherings, we use a flute. Just remember, the biggest problem with flutes is they do not hold much so people fill them way too full. If you use a flute and still want a good nose, fill less than half full.

George, I could be wrong, but am pretty sure that the degree of carbonation influences flavor perception. That is why soft drinks and light beer have so much carbonation.

You don’t taste bubbles?

Firstly, bubbles are just there in a flute because of the etch in the bottom or some flaw/dirt stuck to the side. Pretty easy to get Chardonnay glasses, and get a dremel and put a notch in the bottom, wash thoroughly, then you’ll have bubbles and aroma.

I prefer my bubbles in a white wine glass too. The experience is much better.

Yes, I have heard that, but I am trying to determine why.

I never drink fine champagne from a flute or a coupe. White wine glass always, though the Zalto champagne glass works fine for young bubbles. Most flute designs do not enhance the aromatics.

I conducted this experiment with friends a while ago: 2002 Dom served in three different glasses, a flute, a Bordeaux glass, a Montrachet glass. These felt like three totally different wines.

In the flute, the aromas were impossible to get and the wine in mouth expressed aspects of texture and especially bubbles. It felt bright and fruit and reasonably simple.

In the Bordeaux glass, the aromas were most obvious, perfumed and complex. The wine was showing its development and layers. In the mouth it had a lot more weight and breadth than the flute.

Finally in the Montrachet glass, the floral element of the aromas were most obvious. It showed plenty of freshness and fruit and a brioche complexity. In the mouth it was showing the similar complexity than in the Bordeaux glass but with more elegance and freshness. We all preferred the wine in the Montrachet glass.

Crate & Barrel Hip white wine glass is a favorite for Champagne. It’s basically a flute shape on roids. It showcases freshness and focus along with aromatics. If the bowl of the glass is too big focus tends to get lost and Champagne can seem flabby.

Same here. With her I usually go with the flow. If I’m by myself or we drink something really good I take a regular glass. At tastings I use my regular glasses.

Double fisting Champagne is never a bad idea anyway.

About a year ago I switched from flutes to either Burgundy glasses, or, when those are not available, white wine glasses. I’ve only found a noticeable decline in effervescence if I’ve let the glass sit for a while, which doesn’t happen very often.

For me, that very minor decline has been more than offset by the increase in aroma. And that’s coming from someone who really likes the effervescence component.

Some of the new Champagne glasses…similar to a Zalto Champagne are actually a good compromise between the two…

Some depth to help retain bubbles but a larger bulb to get you a better nose…

Comparing a Zalto Universal to the Zalto Champagne, the nose was slightly better on the Universal…the Bubbles maintained much better in the Champagne…both are vast improvements to a normal champagne flute.

Most Champagne producer themselves drink their stuff from white wine glasses.

My wine group did something similar recently. We served Krug MV blind in both a flute and a Bordeaux-style glass. Everyone thought they were different wines and all preferred the wine in the larger glass.

For me it depends on the audience. If I have mostly wine aficionados over for dinner, then I serve in a white wine glass. If it’s “regular folks”, I use flutes because they like the bubbles and expect the look.

To me I love what the Zalto Universal glass does with Champagne. FWIW. I prefer champagne in glasses other than flutes.

I prefer a smaller chardonnay glass. Enough to let the nose show thru but not too big that I get a dose of CO2 when I breather deeply. I do, on occasion, use flutes with company. They are pretty and i will use the other glasses later.

I only use my flutes for bubbly cocktails. I mostly stick to white or burg stems for champagne because I want the aromatics